1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PJ is out of phase, but only on two strings...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mechayoshi, Nov 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    I have a Charvel 2b with a Gutarfetish p pickup and the stock jazz. I tired switching the white and black wires on one pickup as commonly suggested. Still has the issue. There is no problem unless the blend knob is perfectly on full. Blending a little or a lot of one pickup with the other doesn’t have an issue, only if they are both on full. The control layout to v/b/t. I’m at a loss of what it could be?

2. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Maybe an issue with the blend pot?

Try bypassing the blend pot, that will have both pickups on full, and see if it still exists.

3. Your bass has three coils, but apparently you only tried inverting the phase of one of them. You need to experiment with the phase of the other two.

Mechayoshi likes this.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the problem is obviously with the P pickup, its two coils are out of polarity with each other. that sounds fine when it's by itself because there's no overlap between the strings.

one coil of the P pickup needs to be reversed, the one under the strings that sound wrong.

5. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    How do I reverse one coil? Is it more complicated than switching a wire?

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

You will have to swap the wires on one pickup half. You have a black wire jumping from one half of the P to the other half and an other black going to ground. Switch those two where they solder to the bobbin. TAKE CARE TO NOT DAMAGE THE WINDINGS. Then you’ll have to check to make sure the whole pickup isn’t out of phase with the J pup.

Before doing this you should check the windings vs. the output wires on both halves to make sure that they are truly out of phase. Begin at the white wire, does it go to the center of the coil or come from the outside of the coil? Then move to the jumper wire: where it connects to the second coil should be the same as the white wire.

Mechayoshi likes this.
  7. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    You know what? When I was installing them the wire connecting the pickups and the one to the pot came unsoldered and I struggled to fix things. I'm not exactly an expert. I might have switched a wire but assumed it was fine since the pickup worked.

8. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Update. Thanks for all the help. I switched the wires for the coil and switched again what I had previously done for the bridge. It works fine now and I only burn myself once in the process! :p

Killed_by_Death likes this.