1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PJ Jazz Bass Build Nitro Sherwood Green

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troyus, Apr 29, 2009.

1. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Been building this up for awhile, finally got it done a few days ago.

Specs are as follows:
    • Alder 2 piece jazz body (off center join)
    • Sherwood Green (Nitro)
    • 60 Jazz wiring harness
    • Lollar P bass pickup
    • Nordstrand hum canceling bridge J
    • Warmoth mint J-P pickguard
    • Allparts block neck with custom neck contour.

In these pictures the paint looks more blue, but it has more green in person, just one of those funky 60s colors. This is the traditional Sherwood Green, which is like a teal really, not the more modern 'truck green' that is also getting the same name as of late. I got the idea to build this from seeing Jim Carrs avatar all the time with that PJ Sadowsky jazz he's got... it kept taunting me.

3485867795_1da0998fab.

3485855639_492db2bc3b.

3485852949_89bb3ea988.

3486677312_0a7857ba87_b.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Very nice. I'm not a huge fan of PJ's, but you;ve got something sweet there. Love the stack knobs and the RW neck w/ blocks as well. :bassist:

3. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Cor!

4. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    Nicely done! That is a great looking bass!
    The Fender colours are hard to nail exactly... especially as the colours change with age. You need to look under the pickguard of a "closet queen" to see the true colour.
    Novak mixes the closest I've seen:
    http://www.curtisnovak.com/restors/FenderColors/index-2.shtml

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Very cool!!!! I probably would have put the P pickup a little closer to the neck, but that's just me being picky! If I saw you on the street with that bass I would grab it and RUN!

6. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    where did you get the nitro body done?

7. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Sorry... took a long time to pick up my jaw! Superb... my perfect bass. The mint guard goes just right with that colour... great job, well done.

I've a teal green P which often looks blue when the light's right.

8. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I second that question, and would also love to hear about the custom neck contour.

9. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Nice! Couple questions, if you don't mind:
    How did you settle on those two particular pickups? Have you tried others?
    Is the P pickup in the traditional P location?
    Which Nordie J is it?
    Is the volume of the pickups relatively equal?
    Was that an off the shelf pickguard?
    Thanks!

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

NICE... And I *love* the old PJ sound!

But the P p'up looks out of place - did you move it away from the neck a bit?

And the fender decal... can you explain that for the audience?

11. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    I had B hefner shoot the body in nitro since that is where the body was from. Not my first choice for a painter but he did a good job.

The custom neck contour is just something I did with a belt sander and plenty of hand sanding, to get a neck that is about 23mm thick f-b at the 12th fret, but increases to about 24mm thick at the 5th fret. Looks a little unusual, but feels great, keeping the surface area your hand grabs similar up and down the neck.

The P pickup is "precision correct" location and the jazz pickup is 70s jazz spec. I routed the pickup cavity with a template, still I was sweating bullets, I wouldn't even dream of trying to rout by hand with this one.... just not enough wiggle room in the pickguard! It is a stock Warmoth guard.

I went with the lollar because it looked like it was just a touch hotter than the 62 RI Fender pickup, which I really like. Both sound great.

The NJSV jazz pickup was hum canceling, compared to the single coil version it's not quite as lively, but if you put a single coil in this setup without a companion in the neck you will get hhhhmmmmzzzzzzz all day long. prefer the sound of the single coil over this but this was a necessary concession.

The volume of the pickups is relatively equal due to adjusting during install... I tend to run the bridge pickups close the the strings and the neck farther away. That's what works for me to balance the output. Lately I've been favoring more bridge pickup over neck pickup in my sound.

The Fender Decal, well it's a Fender licensed neck and I've used this neck on a few Fenders in the past. Goes well with this neck, if you ask me. Which you are. ;)

I might change back to a VVT setup with a series parallel switch, just to see how that sounds in this setup. The VT-VT looks and works cool but it does loose a little sparkle because of the additional electronics. It's a tradeoff.

And yeah definitely mint green made this thing work... I was a little unsure about the color until I put a piece of mint green guard over it in the shop!

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    P/J's have always seemed like a bad idea to me, until Kevin Drexler of Sadowsky convinced me to try it. Mine is a dream. I have a few basses that are really great. The P/J is tops for what I want.

Really you have done a lovely job and made very interesting and cool choices. I am curious about why you decided to stay passive?

Play the ever-loving heck out of it!!!

13. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Thanks Jim... for the preamp thing, I have some preamps sitting around and I have a bypassable preamp in my main bass, but unless I'm using a backline I tend to forego the active stuff and let the passive sound ooze out my lead brick of a tube amp. Anything more than a smidge of preamp color through my SVT or V4 tends to add 'too much'. If I used cleaner heads I would be totally game for the preamps.

On the PJ setup... having that bridge J really fills in tiny empty spaces in the P sound nicely. :smug:

14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Great build... a gorgeous bass! :)

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Sweet bass, looks more like my LPB Fender does in certain lights.

16. Stepitup

Stepitup

May 23, 2006
    San Jose, Ca.
    Nice sweet bass. love the RW neck. Where did you buy the neck.

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Says Allparts in the OP.

18. I'm digging that color and those blocks on the fretboard. The white PG and the blocks really set that baby off. I'm wondering if I could make an active 5'er with those same specs. How light is it? How's the neck profile, chunky, thin, average? I would probably stick some EMG pickups in there too. Just my personal preference. How much did that cost you?

19. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    The body weighs approx 5 lbs with paint. I went with some big 70 style tuners which pushed the weight up to around 9 1/4 lbs. Would be 9 flat with some lightweight tuners. The neck profile is custom, I like my necks relatively flat and thin front to back once you pass the 10th fret and get into the noodle range. :) I shaved a lot of wood off the neck, it's one of the reasons the bass is pretty light...

There's probably 900 in it but I'm not really sure, a lot of the hardware I had sitting around, and the neck too. And since I built it the cost of paint has gone up as well...

20. NYCBass

NYCBass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    That is a KILLER LOOKING BASS ! ! !