1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PJ/Jazz Comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peteytalkbass, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Peteytalkbass

Peteytalkbass

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi, I'm fairly new to bass playing, being a guitarist, but am *seriously* digging it...
    I have a few questions to which I can't seem to find any definitive and in-depth answers:
    I have a Passive US Jazz with the S1 switch, so that's my reference point - I favour traditional fingerstyle bass tones, not the zing of some contemporary slap and virtuoso styles. (though I do appreciate them in context)

How does a PJ equipped bass differ tonaly in "both units on" mode? (to a stock Jazz in the same mode)

Subjectively, does this sound have enough of the characteristics of a stock jazz to be a good compromise, or is it a great sound in it's own right?

AFAIK combining a humbucker with a single will result in some phase cancellation, is this an issue with passive models?

Secondly: Is there a Jazz neck replacement which is built to sound like a Precision unit? The closest thing I could find was a split design by Fralin, some reviewers mentioned a leaning towards a P in the tone.

The thing is, I find the attack transient a little *too* pokey on the jazz 'mid' unit for my tastes. Using a compressor in "leveling amp" config helps, but I'm wondering if a P bass unit will be more up my street - I like punch, but not so much of a "spike" at the front.

Many thanks...