PJ/Jazz Comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peteytalkbass, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Peteytalkbass

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi, I'm fairly new to bass playing, being a guitarist, but am *seriously* digging it...
    I have a few questions to which I can't seem to find any definitive and in-depth answers:
    I have a Passive US Jazz with the S1 switch, so that's my reference point - I favour traditional fingerstyle bass tones, not the zing of some contemporary slap and virtuoso styles. (though I do appreciate them in context)

How does a PJ equipped bass differ tonaly in "both units on" mode? (to a stock Jazz in the same mode)

Subjectively, does this sound have enough of the characteristics of a stock jazz to be a good compromise, or is it a great sound in it's own right?

AFAIK combining a humbucker with a single will result in some phase cancellation, is this an issue with passive models?

Secondly: Is there a Jazz neck replacement which is built to sound like a Precision unit? The closest thing I could find was a split design by Fralin, some reviewers mentioned a leaning towards a P in the tone.

The thing is, I find the attack transient a little *too* pokey on the jazz 'mid' unit for my tastes. Using a compressor in "leveling amp" config helps, but I'm wondering if a P bass unit will be more up my street - I like punch, but not so much of a "spike" at the front.

Many thanks...