PJ matching

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jefbyos, Apr 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jefbyos

jefbyos

Mar 16, 2018
    Hi there

I am the owner of a 2006 MIM PB deluxe, rosewood neck, which already been through many upgrades (Handmade bone nut, Hi-mass bridge, copper shielding, Passive switch added, Passive tone added, volume pot on active circuit to match the passive volume, and 18V mod). I'm happy with it, but there's one thing i'd like to improve is the J pup.

I like what i'm getting from the noiseless P pup, maybe a bit bassy but with a decent setting on the amp it has some bite. The J however is not quite as good, sounds tiny and trebble-y. Not a new story as i saw many topics there (and elsewhere) discussing this. But most of the time the advice is to change the whole set... What would be the advice if i wanted to change the J only ?

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    My first thought was a Dimarzio DP123L Model J.

reddog and Bodeanly like this.
  3. jefbyos

jefbyos

Mar 16, 2018
    On the paper that may do it, yes.

4. jefbyos

jefbyos

Mar 16, 2018
    I'm trying to find one, without success... seems like it's now only sold by pair :(

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Are you looking for a Dimarzio Model J bridge pickup?

If so, go to EBay or Reverb and get one from Mike’s Music Shop (aka banjomikez).

Just search for “Dimarzio Model J bridge”.

Also, FWIW, banjomikez is the best Dimarzio dealer I have ever done business with.

6. jefbyos

jefbyos

Mar 16, 2018
    Thanks Slater, as a matter of fact i had found him already. Seems like it's the only one to propose it... i was looking if i could find a closer reseller (i'm in France). It looks like i won't have many options if i want to go for that pup.

I also was looking other options, such as the ultrajazz DP148, or the Seymour SJB-2B. But i have to say that the ability to fine-tune the response using DP123L plots height, was appealing. It's a shame that design isn't more used (i heard about Schaller JBX too during my searchs)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, that's how it works. the P is way larger, it's a series humbucker and it's closer to the neck. you're not going to get them to "balance" unless you replace them both with pickups that are so altered they no longer sound like a normal P or a normal J.

besides, that's not the idea: the J pickup is just added to the P pickup to bring in some treble and scoop out some midrange, it's not usually meant to be used by itself. as such, a vintage output P and a vintage output J do the job just fine. i like the dimarzio area J bridge as a J pickup that sounds vintage but doesn't hum.

8. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    +1

9. jefbyos

jefbyos

Mar 16, 2018
    Well, i am not that satisfied with the combination either. ;)

I wouldn't mind having a J that does not sound like a normal J... After all it's a precision, it's not supposed to sound like a J ^^

I dug deeper about the DP123L sold on ebay... at 60-70 bucks it sounds reasonable, but i have to add extra transportation costs and import fees so as a result, it's more like 110... not so much of a bargain, as it's getting close to the price of a set here in Europe.

My idea was to keep the P, if i'm to change the whole set, i'm probably looking to something a bit more hi-end. All or small, in a way ^^

10. Steve Hernandez

Steve Hernandez

Sep 2, 2014
    I have a Schecter Signature Series Model-T that I swapped out the pots with CTS TOAT 500k pots, replaced the pickup selector with a Switchcraft toggle (j pickup can be used by itself), installed shielding but to the point, I recently swapped out the pickups with a set of passive Lindy Fralin PJs. The jazz pickup is overwound so I get more volume and it's split coil. I'm liking it so far. Might be worth a shot for your bass.

11. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    J'en ai.
    I have a bunch of bridge J pickups I'm not using. If I can find out what I paid for them I would charge you that plus shipping. Many French people were really cool with me when I lived there and I would consider it paying back the favor. Somebody over there also has my 70s jazz bass with fralin pickups in it. That thing was a real Beast that I had to sell to pay for my plane ticket to Mexico. I'm super busy but keep bugging me and we can work something out.

12. IF it were ME, I'd look at a humbucking Jazz replacement: In many cases, it's quite a hill to climb to ask a single-coil pickup under a part of the strings near the bridge to go one-on-one with a humbucking pickup under the fattest point of the string arc. Plus you lose the single coil hum that can rear its' head.

13. jefbyos

jefbyos

Mar 16, 2018
    I live in France reddog! If you have some parts left on your drawer, i'm all ears ^^

14. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Is this one of Mr. Drumpf's latest missives?

15. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    15569669896651464317551.jpg 1556967050846414180070.jpg

jefbyos likes this.
  16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Ha!

I just meant that’s usually how P/J players do it, as just a P bass with an option for that scooped middle setting.

17. jefbyos

jefbyos

Mar 16, 2018
    Just in case someone with a similar quest is reading this : i went for the DP-148, and it matches pretty well with the stock P. The DP148's Bass response is extended compared to stock noiseless. Of course P is still providing more bass though, and J more hi-mid and treble, but both mix well and once correctly set the power is similar. So that's a good match for me. I'm happy so far.

pcake and alanloomis1980 like this.
  18. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Thanks for circling back! I am indeed on a similar quest. That hum drives me nuts!

I've got a Fender super 55 in the works, model J is a runner up. I did consider the ultra jazz too, glad you like it!

I'll make sure to circle back when I get mine to add to the discussion :)

jefbyos and BlueTalon like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021