1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PJ pick up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thepandageneral, Aug 11, 2012.

1. thepandageneral

thepandageneral

Aug 11, 2012
    Hey everyone :)
    I am considering buying my first PJ bass for experimentation, and as usual, I ran into problems :L
    I want to get Duff's tone with the two pick ups but I am on tight budget here and there is no way I will be able to afford his signature model just for my experiments.
    I've looked at the Fender P special, the Squier P special and even the Ibanez mikro, I can't quite find one that fits my criteria.
    The P specials have Jazz necks that are too thin for me and I doubt I will be able to get the tone I want out of the tiny mikro.
    Got any suggestions? :D
    I prefer P bass bodies over Jazz bodies for some reason :S

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You need a MIJ Jazz Bass Special from the 80's. The original pickups that come in those are the Duff tone.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Otherwise:
    MIJ Aerodyne Jazz
    (second hand you could easily afford a mid 2000's first series with regular mounted input instead of Strato-style second series one...);
    MIM Frank Bello Jazz
    (second hand - it's discontinued for Bello being with ESP nowadays - you could easily afford a Jazz bass with thick Precision bass neck and an undeniably Precision-wise sound, for its SD QP split is impossible to match by the SCN jazz single bridge pickup and it's a stringthru alder body - not basswood like Aerodyne from which it derived);
    MIM Mark Hoppus Jazz
    (second hand you could easily afford a first series one with SD QP split pickup in regular shaping whereas now is reversed - and it's a Jazz bass with a thick Precision bass neck and, saving buyin' used, you could add a jazz single bridge pickup for your purposes)

Hope to be of any help

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: present Frank Bello signature bass is a P/J again, but in "Precision-wise" body shape
    Except that is new, so there ain't no room to find some second hand and, in this case, you'd better look for the LTD replica model to save something.