PJ pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mikeybikey, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Mikeybikey

Mikeybikey

Jun 3, 2018
    Hey guys, I am building a new bass and was curious to see peoples suggestions on pickups.

Currently I have a warmoth pj with Aguilar 4pj-hc's in it, and while I love them (and may end up going that way) I am curious about trying something else. I don't really have a tone that I'm looking for, just purely experimental but different or better than the Aguilars would be cool. I was thinking maybe bare knuckle, lollar... Not sure.

Current Amp/cab set up is an Ampeg Pf500 into a gk neo 112 and carvin 15.

2. Easiest thing in the world to put into any bass are EMG Geezer Butler PJ's...no soldering, all clip-on wiring.
    $179.00 USD on Amazon. And they're downright crunchy :D

Cheapest drop-in with a full pre-soldered setup are Amazon's TBEST PJ Set for $67.00 USD,
    but nobody has reviewed them and mentioned how they sound...

Seymour Duncan makes the Quarter Pound PJ set for $135.00 which sounds pretty darn good.

Aguilar's run $199.00 & sound good as well.

It's all in whether or not you can solder.

GravyGoodness, BOOG, mikeyjm2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Mikeybikey

Mikeybikey

Jun 3, 2018
    Thanks for the reply Shrek! I can soldier, that's not an issue. I've had quarter pounders before, but was underwhelmed. Could've been that they were in a cheaper schecter though. Curious about the geezers though, gonna have to watch a vid or two!

BOOG and Big Shrek like this.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
  5. Mikeybikey

Mikeybikey

Jun 3, 2018
    I have thought about lace, but for bass I know nothing of them. Their guitar stuff always sounded a bit too thin or tin-ny to me. I'll try some vids, thanks!

fhm555 likes this.
  6. I have used the Aguilar AG 4P/J-HC set on multiple basses, and I was happy with the results.

Jonathan C, Frank77 and Mikeybikey like this.
  7. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    I’ve enjoyed the Bartolini CB PJ pickups a lot. It’s more on the warm and mellow territory, so don’t expect anything bright or hi-fi sounding. It’s a very tame pickup but I like it. Ymmv.

LowWay and Mikeybikey like this.
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Can’t speak to the Lace pickups available currently for bass, but the best sounding active bass I’ve ever owned is a Jazz Plus with Fender Lace sensors and a Kubicki preamp.

Mikeybikey likes this.
  9. Probably not as well known as the Geezers which I do recommend, the EMG PJAX are pretty good too... a little less of the Geezer character and slightly in the direction of Bartolini’s (i.e. smoother/darker than Geezer). I have Geezers, PJAX’s and Bart DC’s each matched up with their respective manufacturer preamp—so that’s what my impression/comparison is based on. With EMGs, I do recommend their ABC balance control, note that there are two kinds so get the matching one... ABC for the Geezer and ABCX for PJAX or any X pickups.

Big Shrek, sonojono and Mikeybikey like this.
  10. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Fender Original P or 62
    Fralin underwound P
    I want a nuanced P tone without clank, that’s what dialing in the J is for.

You could always default to a Dimarzio Model PJ set.

GZRs can be polarizing, I don’t like mine.
    I have enough pickups in a box that maybe there’s a reason I gravitate towards Js.

Mikeybikey likes this.
  11. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Bartolini

Mikeybikey likes this.
  12. Black Sabbatical

Black Sabbatical

May 8, 2014
    I am using Nordstrand, a matched PJ noiseless set that is awesome. I do us an Audere preamp for them,

sonojono and Mikeybikey like this.
  13. Agree heavily on the Wilde set. I have them in a Fretless Warmoth build with GHS tapes and it’s truly a beautiful thing.

I actually like the 2 original EMG sets and the Alnico X set I have in 3 of my other p/j s as well.

My 1st p/j has a Fender ‘62 p and a Duncan Vintage J and is still one of my most played basses.

Yeah, I like p/j s.

Mikeybikey likes this.
  14. I am tempted to try the original EMG PJ’s. I have a stock Fender Zone PJ and the stock pickups are surprisingly decent (push the onboard EQ’s bass just a bit). I’m not sure when I’ll cave and do an electronics swap... something tells me (probably something Jimmy wrote) that I’d like the PJ’s more than the PJX’s.

I wonder if saying “Jimmy says...” would help me justify more parts to the household finance committee. I know the first counter-question will be “who’s Jimmy?” but I wonder where it can go after that.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  15. Erik Turkman

Erik Turkman Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Washington, DC area
    The Dimarzio DP126 set will sound different from the Aguilars. To my ears, the Dimarzios are more punchy, almost active sounding.

16. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I really like using a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Vintage P pickup with their STK-J2 Hot Stack jazz bridge pickup. Don't come as a set, but sound great together to my ears.

Bolsyo and TN WOODMAN like this.
  17. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I've got an Np4A and an NJ4SE.

Zbass82, Mikeybikey and TN WOODMAN like this.
  18. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Doubt you’ll be underwhelmed or disappointed with the Geezers. I have a P (w/DR Pure Blues) and a PJ (w/La Bella black tapes) and luv’m.

Mikeybikey likes this.
  19. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Nordstrands! Fat, aggressive, but subtle pickups generally speaking

20. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    I have Nordstrands too with a Big Split in the bridge position, so no hum regardless of settings. Its also has a longer sensing area along the string thatn the standard Jazz bass width and I prefer the tone. It is a little less snappy than the standard jazz bass without being to round and wooly. It is not an MM style sound though.

What I would love would be a P/MM bass with a Nordy Quadcoil. Could you wire it to have P, P+MM, PJ0, P0J, PP, P reverse P? If so it might just be the ultimate PJ in terms of tonal flexibility.

Mikeybikey likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021