PJ pickups fav for heavy music

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sapatown, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Hey,

What is your fav P and J pickups for metal or rock? Or any genre for that matter!

Do you know or own dunable pickups?
    Wondering how these would sound,
    D-split P:
    D-Split Pickup

Alnico V magnet

D-J:
    D-J Pickup

Bridge = 9.7k

Neck = 8.5k

2. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    Seems like the obvious choice is the Dimarzio Model P in combination with the Model J.

Sapatown likes this.
  3. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Jeff62 is totally right. It's the best choice for this.
    As a bonus the P and J are pretty well balance which is rare. It's an under reported problem but a real one.

Sapatown likes this.
  4. mini-milli

mini-milli

Aug 6, 2020
    I have some Nordstrand CND PJ pickups in my Ibanez SR650 which you can definitely get an aggressive tone from.

I can only imagine the US versions sound even better.

Sapatown likes this.
  5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Dimarzio DP126 Model P+J set would be my personal choice. Well, it actually is my personal choice, as I have Dimarzios in two of my basses.

Another good choice for heavy music would probably be EMG Geezers, because…Geezer! ;)

Sapatown likes this.
  6. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    All of your choices are really good!

Really want to try out Nordstrand..
    But EMG Geezer looks promising aswell!

7. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016

Im gonna get a PJ set from Dunable to try them out, but little info about them

8. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Personally I prefer to use fairly standard or even vintage-style pickups for rock and metal, because in my experience I tend to find that the heavily distorted, two-guitar rock and metal bands I typically play in tend to get a fatter, heavier overall tone when I play with a relatively clean and round tone for most parts and only kick on a bunch of gain during key moments when the guitars are more sparse. So I tend to prefer Aeros or other "modern takes on vintage pickups" for J bass, and so far just standard Fenders for the rare times when I use a P.

Sapatown likes this.
  9. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Thats interesting ! Yeah, if our band had two guitars I would go for a cleaner sound too.

I play in a metal trio with one guitarist, and to make the sound we found its really good to use fuzz or distortion on bass.

Stuff like EMG or so can handle that good I guess. But really need to try them.

10. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Trios are different for sure. However, I will say that one of the main reasons guitarists go for pickups such as EMGs for metal is because they are less likely to produce unwanted noise at high gain levels or otherwise are built specifically to produce an ideal rock/metal tone at high gain. In contrast, I've never noticed "standard" bass pickups as having any problem handling high gain unless you try to use one single-coil pickup by itself. But I know the modern rock/metal pickup styles are fairly popular so there may be other benefits.

Sapatown likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022