PJ Pickups humming/buzzing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TjMetalhead, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    P = no buzz.
    J = no buzz.

P+J changes the sign which causes buzz. That's like a pizza taco or a hard top convertible. Nature abhors a vacuum.

2. Many pets also abhor vacuums.

3. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Okay now the most bizzare thing just happened. The tone knob is now adjusting the volume of the p pickup. Idk what the hell is going on. I'm gonna take it to my guitar luthier who set it up for me. He did the work so hopefully he can fix it.

4. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    The foil should work I just perfer paint because it can completely cover an area easier than foil tape.

Have you taken off the bridge to be sure enough bare wire is making contact to the bridge?

Another thing to try is have a bit foil tape overlap the cavity just enough so the control plate sits on it. This will truly make a faraday cage. Your control plate is metal right?

I wire my Jazz basses with pickup ground plates like the pic below and solder each of these ground leads and all ground leads to a small ring terminal like the in the other pic which newer Fender's already use.

Your pickup grounds look like they're correctly soldered to the back of the pots except I solder another ground wire on 1 of the pots to go to cavity ground using either pot since they're all tied together.

Lastly I solder a wire to the input jack ground lug to a ring terminal and connect all grounds from pickup plates, input jack, ground lead from pot, and bridge to a small screw driven in the shielded cavity creating a single point ground(Star ground).

My Basses are noise free!

hz1oec4j9th0iksxxd9f.jpg download.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  5. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Yep, checked the ground wire to the bridge and theres plenty of contact. Here's something though, idk how this happened but the tone knob is now adjusting the volume on the p pup. I'm honestly so frustrated I'm thinking about getting a emg gzr pj set with the solderless connectors. I've never had a bass give me this much electronic problems

6. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Sounds like a wire came loose and touching something while you removed the plate to take pics.

New pickups may not solve the ground noise issue. If you're not much of soldering guy, I would take this Bass back to the Luthier who worked on it and I would expect he would guarantee his work.

A complete re-work of the ground like a star ground system works if you have the time and patience to do it.

Give me a minute and I'll post a pick of my Bass.

7. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    I've been needing a more aggressive tone for the music I play anyways. The fender 62s are fantastic but not enough gritty punch like the geezers pull. I at least wanna try it to see if theres a difference at all. Yeah I don't like messing with soldering. I'm not very good at it lol

8. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    I disconnected the p and plugged into the control plate and no hum. It's the pickups, not too sure what it could be with them. They're mismatched if that makes any difference.

9. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    A PJ needs a hum cancelling bridge pickup if you want it to ever be quiet.

10. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Yeah, that's what the guys at the guitar store said when I brought it down to try it on their amps.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    if you lived in Colorado I would have you over as a guest and together we could fix the grounding problem in my workshop

12. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Ah that would've been nice. I'm down here in good ol sunny NM, well not so sunny these days 'cause monsoon season lol. Anyways, I actually ended up pulling the trigger on a GZR PJ set. The EMG website had this to say about it "The J (PJ set) also uses Alnico 5 poles and features two custom wound split-coils. This eliminates the noise and hum usually associated with early 70’s bass pickups and allows for more power and volume than any other standard single coil J". So we'll see if this rings true when they come in this week. I know a great majority of TBer's love these pickups and I actually had just the P configuration a few years ago. So I'm anxious to try the PJ version. I'm probably gonna end up selling the other pickups if the gzr's work out.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  13. Arch1medes

Arch1medes

Nov 14, 2009
    View attachment 3920589
    crazy coincidence: I just finished a DIY project which was exactly what you did here and am dealing with the tone pot volume issue. Looking forward to if you solve it...cuz I’m stumped too!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  14. Arch1medes

Arch1medes

Nov 14, 2009
  15. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    A shorted tone cap would cause that problem, but I think they rarely fail.
    You can always disconnect the cap from ground and see if it still happens.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021