1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PJ pot question V V TT ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ironrat, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Hi:

I ordered a SX PJ bass. I want to wire it so I have 2 vol pots as stock but I want to control tone with one tone pot.

What kind of pot can be used for that? Stacked? Push/Pull? Is there a wiring diagram for that?

thanks guys

2. If you want a VVTT setup for a PJ, you can just use the 1962 Jazz bass wiring for stacked pots.
    Just substitute the neck pickup pickup for your P pickup and it is the same wiring scheme.

3. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    that diagram is hard to find....

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It's a bit confusing what you want. The title says V V T T which seems to indicate two volume controls and two tone controls. But the text says you "... want to control tone with one tone pot".

Based on the text, I'd suggest you get a stacked volume pot like FMIC uses on the Vintage Series '62 Jazz bass to use for your two volume controls, and a a good tone pot. Then wire them up like the diagram that fishsticks provides. Now if you can't figure out how to get from a diagram of two separate pots to a stacked pot, then I'd suggest that you leave the soldering to someone else.

jte

5. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    ok, let me explain. I want to have V V but I want a stacked pot for tone TT. Can it be done?

6. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    It should be doable. The '62 Jazz Bass wiring uses two stacked pots with each stack having a 500K and 250K pot. One stack per pickup, but I'm not sure which is the volume and which is the tone (500K or 250K). You could separate them and have a 500K / 500K stack and a 250K / 250K stack, with one stack just for volume and the other for tones (again not sure which value is generally used for which). You might also be able to just use all 500K's or 250K's to make it simpler. Might have to just try it to see if you like it. Here's the '62 Jazz Bass wiring (which is not exactly what you want):

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0190209C/SD0190209CPg2.pdf

You can buy wiring kits for this from places like this:

http://guitarpartsresource.com/bass_electricalwiringkits.htm

(check out the SKB-KIT, but again that's for the standard '62 Jazz bass stack).

7. It's still the same '62 Jazz wiring, you just have to move around the pot configuration.

8. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Wow thanks!
    now...where I left that solder gun....?

9. You might want to get a small iron rather than a gun.
    Soldering guns are way to powerful for small guitar parts. You don't want to melt the pot's or anything...

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I find that soldering grounds to pot cases works a lot quicker and cleaner with a gun. Using and iron on grounds takes WAY too long and doesn't transfer enough heat...but then again I have a 30watt iron. maybe I should get a 50.
    wire terminations is nice with an iron.

11. I use a 30 watt iron as well. You need to wait until it's good and hot before using it...
    Once the iron is hot, you shouldn't have any problems with grounds.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    just remember that when both pickups are on, both tone knobs affect everything. you'll only get individual tone knob use when only one pickup is on. that's why they went away from dual tones, it was pretty much pointless.

13. Yes, but there is away around that by isolating the pots from each other with resistors.

Either way, the whole circuit has a darker tone to it from the 4 pots than with 3. I prefer as few pots as possible to maintain a direct tone.

14. My soldering gun is a little unwieldy so I usually resort to a 45 watt iron which will spot heat the casing quick enough to solder without cooking the entire thing.

15. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    After the last post I did a little research(obscure info) and found out that walterw is right.

But it must be cool to be able to dial the tone for each pup.

Thanks for the help. I am still waiting the SX that I wanted to mod.