PJ pot setup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jun 20, 2005.

1. I have a fender Pbass special wich is a PJ bass. I want to change the controls on it. I want to run a volume/ tone stacked pot for each pickup have a 3 way selector switch and a stereo output. What will I need for this. will I want a 250k or 500k pot? what will be a good switch I am am figuring to get one that will go in the empty hole for the tone knob. and what kind of stereo jack would you suggest?. Also I would like a noisless pickup of some kind to put in the bridge position. What would you suggest there? In case you havent figured it out I want to go with a Rickish control layoout on my P bass special. any help would be appreciated.

P.S. would I need any caps or resistors or anything like that? this is my first project that I will be attempting.
  2. Why do you want a stereo output jack, those are only really used for active pickups

you use a cap on the tone control to control how much treble is rolled off
  3. I want a stereo jack for a few reasons. 1 I run my rick stereo so when I switch between basses it is just unplug one plug in th other.2 i can run my bridge pickup through my effects while keeping the neck pickup clean. and it just seems to give a bigger sound running stereo instead of mono.
  4. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    I have Jazz Bass Special which is also PJ and has a similar configuration as what you described. I can't really give you much advice because I'm in currently searching for information on pots as well.

Here is a link I found at here at TB that talks about the different types of pots

Here is a diagram for P-J, which may explain where to put the capacitors.

Here is another link that shows a switch configuration diagram that RobertUI posted for me (it's in the thread):

According to SD diagram, sounds to me that you could probably use a stacked 250/250 pot, but I think 250/500 would work too.

I have no idea about the Stereo jack configuration on a passive setup, but if you look through some Active P-J diagrams at SD (for example) you might be able to come up with a match.

As far as the capacitors go, I think you'd want to match what the pickup manufacturer recommends. There are different types of capacitors (build differently). Each gives differnt results, but I can't remember (or find) the specifics.

Hopefully someone here can help you out.