Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PJ pup volume?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Feb 17, 2006.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Ive been checking out some basses with the PJ pup configuaration and it seems that when you solo the P pup the bass always seems to have much more volume then when both P&J pups are on. Does activating the J pup lower the output of the P pup even when both are at full volume? Ive even adjusted the j pup height up with pretty much the same results. It seems to be the case with most of the PJ basses Ive played or am I just hearing things?

2. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    That happens with all two pick-up axes to some extent and some are worse than others. It's called phase cancellation.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I read on here once that these volume phenomena come from impedance interactions between the pickups. Or maybe it's phase cancellations as Sarge says. (We know our phat bottom in Philly, that's for sure.) Same thing happens on a Jazz, but I think the volume fluctuations seem greater on a P/J. Back off the J pickup about a third, and you should get the most volume.

4. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Interesting! I actually just put a j bridge pup with stack knobs in my old hotroded BB300 today and it gave me the same type of cancellation effect and it took me all day to do. Not sure how it will sound with the band or in the studio? My main bass in another old hotroded BB300 with 1/4lb SD P pups. I thought I would do the same thing to that bass, but after hearing my other BB with the new J bridge pup I dont think so! I mean whats really the benefit? thanks guys.

5. my bass doesn't change volume when i switch pickups at all, this might be because its an active bass

lowsound