1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PJ Volume pots issues after swapping pickups. [EDIT: FIXED]

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by el_Bajo_Verde, Jan 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    Minneapolis
    I do have a multimeter, but I don't know how to use it to diagnose the problem.

Just swapped the pickups on my PJ bass. I now have a couple of odd problems that seem to be related, but I don't know what caused them.

• The bridge pickup taper has changed, it goes from silent to full blast at only a 5% turn from the off position. So if the positions are from 1-10 left to right, there is only a tiny taper range from 1 to 2, then it's full blast.
    • The neck pickup seems to taper fine, but its volume is now directly dependent on the volume of the bridge pickup. If the bridge pickup is turned down to 0, the neck pickup is silent no matter what. So I can't just solo the neck pickup because it's max volume is equal to the bridge pickup volume
    • Tone pot is perfectly fine.
    Based on research I may have overheated the back of a pot and messed up the taper on the bridge pickup I can live with that, but why is the neck pickup dependent on the bridge pickup now?

Edit: I don't see any option to close the thread, anyway it was a very simple problem that i didn't see. The hot lead wire from the bridge pickup was touching another cable (not sure what it's called but it's a cable that daisy chains all the pots). So I just resoldered it and added electrical tape to be safe.

Now all of the pots work correctly! Hooray!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017