PJ vs JJ for 5 string "super fenders" (sads, lulls ...)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pickles, Aug 3, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I asked this question on a relevent sadowsky thread yesterday, but I got plowed by "discussion" about who is posting what (PLEASE POST NONE OF THAT HERE -- get your own thread).

Tom, Mike ... anyone else whose had a chance to compare sadowsky PJ5 to JJ5 in apples-to-apples woods... or any other make of 5 strings really. I'm just curious to hear people whove tried changing out ONLY the neck pickup, and I know a few of you have basses with dual-routing that allows you to swap (or have tried out very simmilar basses with different pickups).

How much difference does the P vs J in the neck position make to the tone when you're blended 50/50? I love the halfway blend sound I get from the JJ, but want to have a P in the neck position, since I don't really care for the sound of a soloed J neck pickup (never have). Will I loose some of the "magic" of the 50/50 position (and the position blended juuuuust toward the bridge that we all love so much).
  2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    The P pickup is definitely a lot different in character and tone than the J's. Much more low mids and a bit boomier. The J's are tighter but the P isn't loose if that makes sense.

I like them both. With my fingers being a bit bassy I am leaning more towards the J's BUT I am still playing around with the PJ setup. I used on a Funk gig and it was kick ass. No matter what I would keep it in my arsenal. It sounds great playing with a pick! Really killer for Classic Rock stuff like that.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Re PJ vs JJ, 50-50 mix:

On PJ, the D and G strings don't have as much 'pop', which is more noticeable when slapping. The counter-argument is that the D and G have more definition. The bottom line, though, is that you will most likely notice a difference between PJ and JJ on those strings... the E and A have about the same growl. So, that is the compromise. As you have said, the advantage to PJ is a more authentic P-bass sound when the neck pup is soloed.

Note that some players (such as Victor Wooten) prefer PJ to JJ. If you feel the same, then switching to PJ is a win-win.

The above is true regardless of manufacturer, although it should be noted that some brands are more "Fendery" than others.
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have and Alder Rosewood PJ5 thats set up for either J or P in the front....

With the P pickup reversed..it puts the pole peices in the exact location the the pole pieces are in a J pickup so....the POP is pretty much there and the B string sounds tighter with that half moved back a little.

Of the three options...I've settled on the reverse P as the way to go much moreso than with the J in front.

I had an ash maple JJ for about a month..sold it.

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    With the P pickup reversed, does it still sound pretty much like a P bass when you solo that pickup?
  6. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The orientation of the pickup has very little if any effect on the "P"ness of the bass. Either way it's very much...think Robert Cray, Phone Booth. However, the second you add even a little bit of the other pickup...the "P" is gone either way.