PJ vs JJ in a jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rygelxvi, May 21, 2003.

1. JJ

27 vote(s)
  2. PJ

35 vote(s)
  1. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Whats the difference in sound? I know i like JJ, but I'm
    building my own Jazz bass and I want to consider all
    my options. How does PJ tone differ from JJ tone? Which do you prefer and why?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    We have a handy feature called a "search."

This has been done before a number of times, rather recently if memory serves.

Long story short:

PJ does the P and kinda the J, but not really.
    JJ does the J and kinda the P, but not really.
    FusionStuff likes this.
  3. I have two Sadowsky 4 string basses: JJ and PJ. They have different woods:
    • JJ swamp ash, maple board
    • PJ alder body and rosewood 'board
    The combined mid-blend sound of both pickups is quite different. The PJ has a bit more of a hollow tone or mid cut than the JJ with the combined pickup setting. A good recording of the combined PJ sound is Wooten's "A Show of Hands". For the combined JJ sound check out any Marcus Miller CD. (Of course the tone is affected by production and mastering but you'll get a very good idea of it.)

Solo bridge J pup: no major difference

Solo neck P vs J: big difference as the P is rounded and 'fuller'; the neck J is a bit leaner

My comments are soooooo ...amorphous? You can probably go to any major music store and play a few PJ and JJ basses to get a much better idea.

I cannot tell you which I prefer: I love 'em both! Heck, that's why I have them. :D :bassist:
  4. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    yes but the different terms for JJ and PJ are to vague for this sites search engine.
    organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  5. Also, the search function does not work for words that are less than 3 letters. I found that out when I was looking for "PA" information.

I own a jazz bass and played the Fender HRP (PJ) a couple times. I think both tones are pretty cool and wouldn't mind adding a PJ to my toolbox...
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i play mostly fingerstyle rock, blues and RnB. i prefer PJ.

more power, fatter sound.
  7. Consider reverse PJ.

The coils of the P pickup are place with the 'treble' or DG coil more towards the neck and 'bass' or EA coil towards the bridge. This supposedly gives more of a classic pop on the G string. It will be different than but more of a classic P tone than a J neck pickup for sure.

Just one more thing to confuse you. ;)
  8. if you're building it yourself, do JJ and add a series/parallel switch.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  10. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i always hear people talking about the series/parallel switch, but what advantage does it have, and what are the tonal differences?
  11. Parallel is how a normal Jazz is wired. It gives a mid cut when both pickups are on full. Series is how a humbucker or P-pickup is wired, with a big low-mid jump.
  12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Even though it's has an active e.q., you still might want to check out the features Stu Hamm's signature Fender Urge II JPJ bass. I've heard one played by a friend of mine and it sounds good though I don't know what p'up combination he uses.

1a)2 Custom Noiseless Jazz Bass® Pickups (Neck and Bridge)
    1b)1 Custom Precision Bass® Pickup (Middle)

2a)Master Volume
    2b)Dynamic (Pan) Control
    2c) 3-Band Active EQ with Treble Boost/Cut, Bass Boost/Cut, Mid Boost/Cut

3)Pickup Switching: 3-Position Mini-Toggle with Dynamic (Pan) Control:

3a)Position 1:
    Pan Control Full Clockwise: Front Jazz Bass Pickup
    Pan Control at Mid Point: Front and Rear Jazz Bass Pickups
    Pan Control Full Counterclockwise: Rear Jazz Bass Pickup

3b)Position 2:
    Pan Control Full Clockwise: Front Jazz Bass and P Bass® Pickup
    Pan Control at Mid Point: All Three Pickups
    Pan Control Full Counterclockwise: Rear Jazz Bass and P Bass Pickup

3c)Position 3: P Bass Pickup Only

One option you might consider is to plan for JPJ but first only install JJ and the series/parallel switch. If that doesn't work for you, then add the P along with additional controls.

13. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I'll just say this... a PJ sounds a bit "darker" than a JJ- not worse or better just different.