Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PJ vs JJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bollefen, Aug 5, 2003.

1. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    I'd like some discussion on the merits of the PJ config

have several fender jazz and am looking at a G&L with a P/J

any feedback?

bill

2. Depends on your habits. If you find yourself playing both pickups full up all the time, the fact that a P pickup is so much louder than a J bridge pickup is probably going to drive you nuts. However if you find yourself using your J more as a P, that is, the neck pickup full up and the bridge only added sometimes as flavoring, and you want a fuller sound, then a P pickup in place of the J neck pickup makes more sense. I've been a P player forever just because I need that dense P sound from the neck pickup, however I'm going PJ for the added sounds but since I know the uneven output will drive me nuts, I'll be adding a boost-only preamp to match the output of the J bridge pickup to the P.

3. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    The EMG 40's will fit my Yamaha, and they make a 5 string P in that housing. I've thought about switching it over to a PJ under the covers, but to be honest - on my fretted 5 - I would probably be happy with P only - except I got an extra pickup I have to do something with. The bass tends to be a bit clangy. Like they were going for a piano string sound for slapping and didn't quite get it right.

I've never been real happy with bridge pickups on just about any stringed instrument. With single coils though - I never ever play one pickup only. When I put EMG's on my strat - I discovered that I really like the neck and the middle by themselves. Perhaps it's time...

4. I probably should've sprung for a new double soapbar Alembic circuit, but actually I really liked a friend's bass--had the same builder make me one and found out the killer attack didn't come from the bass, but from the PJ Activator circuit (also I really liked the sound of the J bridge pickup in that setting even all by itself; it wasn't thin like others I'd played). Anyway I ditched the bass, but finally found the circuit after watching eBay for 3 years, $200 for a well-used circuit made in 1989. Lots of string erosion on the pickups and the logos were almost gone, so I sanded them down. I need a new chip for the filter and maybe I'll spring for the conversion to volume-pan-filter from volume-volume-filter (hope I can find it used) but definitely I'll boost the bridge pickup. Since I'd ordered a Warmoth wenge/wenge J neck, I figured I'd get a black korina dinky J body made to wrap around the new circuit. If everything works out, it should have more attack than anything I've played. Got my fingers crossed; I'm almost at the point where I'm through with considering new basses to get the sound in my head.

Oh yeah, back on topic, that's a great point, the possibility of interchanging pickups with the same form factor with different internal coil configurations. The original poster could well try out some Bart J pickups on his J that are internally P and see if he likes it. Or he could get something carved out for EMGs and try dual coil, single coil, or split P all in the same holes. Very cool.

5. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Interesting way of putting it. A major reason I've not done anything with the pickups on the Yamaha is that I was concerned changing mics without changing the singer might just cost a lot of money and not actually help anything.

I don't need to do any carving on the BB5 though - the factory pickups are the 4" x 1.5" that EMG40's use. My bridge pickup complaint has always been that they're honky in the upper mids with no fullness at all, and the J does not help this at all. I'm inclined to stick with JJ's on my fretless - though it too may get EMG's one day, but that's at least partially form factor related (it's a JJ now).