Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PJ wiring and grounding help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shaunze, Oct 20, 2005.

1. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    so i'm building a bass, and everything is done except the wiring. I attempted it with the wiring diagrams i got from seymour duncan and stewmac, but i neglected to drill a hole to bring a ground to the bridge. when i plugged it in, all i got was a big humming noise. so i figured it was because i didn't run a ground to the bridge. so just to test this out, i ran a wire over the top of my bass to the bridge, to see if this was the issue. but it still hummed like mad and made no noise. but when i touched the bridge or the string(at a fret) and the volume knob of one of the pups, it worked. it still hummed some, but worked. so i was wondering if anyone here knows whats wrong. it's wired exactly as the seymour duncan diagram for a jazz bass is wired. any help would be awesome, thanks.

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I've have to see a photo of your wiring.

3. So your bass has a pair of P single coils at the neck position and a single J single coil pickup at the bridge?

If so, it's not uncommon to experience some hum. The P pickup will be hum canceling because it's two reverse wound single coils, but the single J pickup will be susceptible to hum.

How well have you shielded your control cavities? Doing so will not remove all of the hum, but will often reduce it to bearable levels?

If your wiring is proven to be correct, you have shielded your bass well, and hum is still an issue, you could use a stacked J humbucker at the bridge instead of a single coil J pup.

Try and post a picture of your wiring, or draw a diagram of what you've done.

;)