1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PJ Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BJMtz, Jan 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi, I'm refinishing my very first bass and it's time to put new electronics in. This particular bass is a PJ configuration with a 3-way switch. I'm decent at soldering so that's not an issue, the issue is of knowing which wires go where.

Looking at the old electronics I pulled out of it it looks like the pickup wires each go to a separate tone knob. The black is the ground and gets soldered to the base of the tone pot while the white one gets soldered to the middle terminal. Is that correct?

2. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Pics!

(No, I can't really help, but you gotta post some pics so everyone that can help, will help.)

:)

3. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Haha yea, pics always help.

4. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    AD411042-9D11-4934-B3AE-20F4412903D6_zpsb4ice3u3.

5. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    1A46DE7B-9A49-45B9-9BDE-F21D688D2A67_zpsezutp1yw.

6. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    113248DA-0C94-45D9-9BD9-9A8C148D2DF0_zpsxm3yqbgo.

7. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    The "B" 500k pots are good for volume, they are "linear taper", the "A" 500k pot is good for tone, it is audio taper, linear pots work a little better for volume control, and are terrible for tone control, "A" audio taper pots could be used for either, but are best for tone controls. So the best use for what you have is 2 vol., 1 tone. You could use either pot, for either job, they will work, but the 2 "B" pots if used for tone, will not have a good useable long sweep, it will seem short, and abrupt, as far as the sweep, something to consider, before you solder it all together. To have 2 tones, and 1 volume, the pickup hot wires each go to the middle lugs on their tone pots, a wire from that same lug on each pot, to the switch if it's a dpdt on-on-on switch here's what happens at the switch, (switch output goes to the vol. pot middle lug, one end lug on the volume pot gets grounded to it's casing, the other goes to the jack (tip). all the pots should have a ground wire soldered to their casing back, leading to the output jack (sleeve), along with the bridge ground wire. Gad... I hope that helps you, I don't know for sure what that switch actually is. (each of the pots should have one of their end lugs soldered to that pot's casing, the 2 tone pots will do that through their tone caps)) (the pickup ground wires should be soldered to the back of any of the pots) (the grey wire in the switch diagram is soldered between pin 2, and pin 5, ) (looking at the pots on the bottom, (casing side), with the terminals facing up, it's the left lug that gets soldered to the pot casing, or to a cap, then the pot casing. when you are done, the tone pots will each have one unused lug.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  8. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for the info. It's been a long time since this bass was in playing condition but it makes sense that the B pots are volume and this should be wired for only one tone, not two. The cap on the old electronics is on the A pot so that makes sense.

9. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    So how would the wiring differ for 2 volume and 1 tone?

10. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    (looking at the bottom of the pots, with the terminals facing upward) The hot pickup wires each to the middle lug on their volume pot, the left lug grounded to the casing, the right lug to the switch as in the diagram above, (hopefully that's the same switch), the switch output to the middle lug on the tone pot, that same lug to the output jack hot, right tone pot lug not used....all the other grounds the same as above, cap, of course still on the left tone pot lug, soldered to the casing (solder the cap to the lug, then the casing, the cap makes the connection

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    BJMtz likes this.
  11. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Wish I could have drawn it for you, I'm terrible at it, and it takes me hours, ...sorry

BJMtz likes this.
  12. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Awesome man, thanks a lot. I should be able to work with that. The switch should be on-on-on for a neck-both-bridge configuration. I don't know for certain that's what that switch is but I'm pretty sure it is.

13. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    If it isn't, ..it should have been, might need one, but it probably is

BJMtz likes this.
  14. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    In my Yamaha BB that's wired with a 3-way switch it goes like this: two pickups blend at switch and then they go to volume and tone. If you're sure you want two tone pots, they should be before the switch, I guess.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    BJMtz likes this.
  15. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    Ah, sorry, didn't get you were asking about VVT vs 3-way switch. In VVT you connect each volume to out through tone, but in a swiched configuration you blend the signal and then pass it to volume and tone.

You may want to look up Yamaha RBX270 (VVT) and Yamaha BB414 (3-way switch) diagrams.

BJMtz likes this.
  16. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    The Jazz bass special wiring is pretty much what you're doing, but without the TBX tone control. Maybe this will help.
    DuffMCKaganSignatureWiringDiagram.

BJMtz likes this.
  17. thomas-k

thomas-k

Nov 9, 2008
    Grasse, France
    Try this :

P_JBass_Standard.
    On SD's site, you have a sort of configurator (under support/wiring diagrams) where you can choose almost any wiring option ,and it shows you the image. No affiliation.

BJMtz likes this.
  18. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Here's what I typed out, (already said I'm terrible at drawing), but it's readable, like Duff's bass, but no tbx, and dpdt 3 way, and you can use 500k pots Jazz3.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    BJMtz likes this.
  19. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    For VVT, pup hots go to wipers then on from the top of the pot. If you go the other way, ie out from the wipers, either vol off kills both pups. Vol after switch it makes no difference. With two tones and both pups on at the switch, either and both tones affect both pups unless you isolate them with resistors. With VVTT, you can achieve isolation by backing the vols off just a touch...

BJMtz likes this.
  20. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Don't forget: If you go with 3way, Vol, tone, before you put pick guard on bass, test both pickups and make sure they are in phase. make sure all 3 settings sound at the same level as you play...especially when both on together.
    All my basses are wired 3way, vol, tone.
    Just a reminder.
    Have fun with the bass!

BJMtz and Growlmonkee like this.