Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PJB 16x5" rear-folded horn cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexclaber, May 28, 2003.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
  2. I've seen those B4; too funny. Would love to hear one...Some crazy products on that page!! Like this;

[​IMG]

What the heck or what??

[​IMG]

3. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Nice to see such apparent honesty with their specs - I'd love to see all the other manufacturers post frequency plots for their cabs.

Alex

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'd like to see how one of those 8x5s would do with an 18 for a biamped rig. Might be something to look into

5. [​IMG]

imagine if one of the cones started distorting- all those hours you'd spend with your ear to the cabs trying to work out which one it was:D

6. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Who needs 18" speakers when you can get 5" ones to go this deep (admittedly it takes 24 of them, but still...)

http://www.philjonesbass.com/PRODUCTS/SPEAKERS/8T&24B.htm

Alex

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I seriously doubt that 32 5" speakers can get all the way down to 23hz. Anyway, I could be wrong.

Anyone notice the slam on Accugroove on that site? I forget where it is, but they say a company with a 15, a 12, a 5 (actually it's a 6) and 2 tweeters, and these guys say the cab sounds lifeless. Never hearing either in person, I wouldn't know how to judge.

8. holy $#!+ !!!!!!

FIRST OFF... A COMPANY USING 5's????? ***???

As well.. LOOK AT THE PRICE on their 650W All Tube head.... $10000 US. ????? What the duece....

I don't understand it Tbers... I just don't get it...Why 5's, and why 10 grand for a head????

Personally, i'd go buy myself a DAMN nice car for $10000.

(BTW... i'm canadian, so it's more like $16000 here, which is enough for a nice 2001 Jetta, or Civic....)

anyone even heard one of these rediculously overpriced heads? do they at least sound good?

~Zentner (sorry for my dirty language)

9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    At least the other amps and cabs are reasonable priced.

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Hmmmmm.... Contempt prior to investigation..???....NOT!

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    we've had this discussion before, and i still think the all tube head and cabs are unbelievably overpriced and fugly. the cabs literally look like grotesque mutations of a Hartke cab. :meh:

IMHO, it'd be in Phil's best interest of design asethetic to recolor the cones to black, and put up a silver mesh screen or straight black screen to give the cabs a more stately look, rather than something out of a bad hair metal video. sorry, its the graphics/industrial designer in me. :p

but i gotta admit, the little "Bass Buddy" micro amp and the rackmount preamp strike me fancy. knowin' Phil, they're prolly nothing less than awesome sounding.

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Huh - well, I can't read any of the numbers on the graphs they're so small! And there's no list of sensitivity, which is pretty darned important! ;)

I'd like to check them out some time.

13. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If you zoom in on those graphs you can fairly well suss out what the numbers on the axes are. For most of the cabs the plots sits between 90 and 110db on the Y-axis. I guess someone should email them and suggest they have higher definition plots up on the site so you can read all the figures.

Interesting to see that most people are rather sceptical about these designs - from my experience of hifi speakers I'm not surprised to see such small drivers being used for bass. I'm sure with mutual coupling they can go plenty low and plenty loud.

I know these 5" cabs have been discussed before but (if I'm not mistaken) their horn-loaded cab is the first new bass player specific horn cab in a long time. What was the last one, one of the big old Acoustic 18"s? If this cab is as well designed as I'd expect from Phil Jones, then up close the sound from the front of the drivers will give you a nice punchy stage sound, and further away the bass throw of the horn will really fill whatever room you're playing in.

Just nice to see someone trying something different rather than refining existing designs.

Alex

14. wiggleworm

wiggleworm

May 29, 2003
    Phil's ideas look incredible... has anyone actually used his amps or cabinets? does anyone have any more info on the bass briefcase? I couldn't find specs or price on the website...

WW

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If we appear sceptical, it's because designs that are this far out have often been "wierd for the sake of wierd". But it's good to see someone trying something different.... ya never know when the next major breakthrough in acoustic technology will happen.

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    If it were just the speakers, I'd only be as skeptical as usual - and as it is I'm pretty interested in them as I think it's a fairly good idea. They're pretty heavy though.

What makes me more skeptical is the big tube amp. Spec'ing silver and 99.999% pure copper (LOL - the website lists it as 0.99999% pure! heh that's not very pure. . .) wire in an amplifier that uses those monster tubes, let alone a musical instrument amplifier, is beyond ridiculous.

And "that combine the superior high frequency extension of silver and the exceptional low frequency impact factor of ultra-pure copper" is just pure BS. Utter nonsense.

I'm sure that amp rocks, but the junk listed above that makes it cost $10,000 is just cost inflation.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    5's can work just fine;)

[​IMG]

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Unlike some other companies who say they've got the next best thing (Penta systems, I'm looking in your general direction...), considering Phil Jones background, I'm sure that the design is on fairly sturdy ground. One of my jazz drummer friends (who owns his own music store) saw the Phil Jones setup at NAMM last year in Nashville, and said both the head and cabs sound absolutely astounding. It was the only thing he thought was worth mentioning to me, if that means anything.

As for the $10K tube head, you either think it's worth it, or not. Period. It's no different than a Bentley, a Rolls Royce, or Ultra high end HiFi (consider the source...).

I've been dying to get some info from these guys. I sent an email, but never got around to trying again when I didn't get a response. My only complaint is that I now see that the 6x5" cab is 12 ohms. :meh: So does this mean that my Walkabout or Portabass would only put out about 100W at 12ohms? Would that be enough with 5" speakers? Oh, well. The thing weighs 51 lbs, too. That kinda defeats the purpose of smaller cabs. Heck, my amps weigh a total of 27 lb--combined....

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    No - that's not it at all. It's a question of how much faith I have in the engineering skills of the designer.

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, Phil Jones is the real deal. His experience used to be on his site, but it appears to be down now. If I remember correctly, he designed a lot of Bose's higher end speaker system, and has been designing high end Hifi stuff for about 20 years, winning a fairly impressive list of awards along the way. I'd say his engineering skills are sufficient.