1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PJB 2x5 monitor cabinet review

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, Apr 16, 2009.

1. flatback

flatback Supporting Member

May 6, 2004
    Ok so PJB does not make a 2x5 monitor ....but what if they did?
    what floats my boat about the recent interest in the Briefcase reviews here is not spending a nuther $1200 bucks on an amp (no offense Phil...) but the brilliant idea of using well tuned 5in drivers as a vertical or wedge monitor on top of another cab.
    what if there were a 2x5 out there...and not just any 2x5 but a PJB 2x5 that double bassists could use as a monitor with other systems?
    i bought 2 wizzy 10's thinking I would use one mostly as a wedge monitor but I end up using only one all the time and while getting it up to near ear level works fine, i really like the idea of a dedicated mini cab for really small gigs and as a way to keep the volume and articulation and mids in my ear while sending out to the audience a cab eq'd for them.
    would something like this work? do you think phil would make me one? would you like one? wouldn 't it be great to be able to take sumthin like that when you have to play when you are sittin on top of the amp (small stage?)
    Me thinks so.....

2. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I have a Flightcase and always wish it was little louder

I play with a Flamenco style guitar player and he really thrashes
    Even with my Flightcase i have difficulty hearing myself and when the banjo and mandolin and accordion players kick in , all hell breaks loose

The PJB speakers really require alot of juice to get loud
    I like my Wizzy
    I wish that PJB could design a speaker that was the same sound but as efficient as the Wizzy

I saw that Mark Bass was making what looks to be a 2x5 cab but might be mistaken

Thanks

Robert VanLane

3. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    One of the things you give up with 5-inch speakers is efficiency. You just don't get something for nothing. You can gang up a bunch of 5-inch speakers to increase sensitivity, but then you end up with a bigger, heavier cab anyway. (See sentence #2.)

4. flatback

flatback Supporting Member

May 6, 2004
    yea i know just dreamin....prolly be way too big too...

5. ewarren88

ewarren88

Nov 21, 2002
    Medina, OH
    I've wondered this also as I pondered getting a Wizzy 10. Today I finally ordered the Wizzy, so soon I should know more.

In the back of my mind I've been thinking that if I want some monitoring, I'll try this...

http://www.galaxyaudio.com/HSVC.jsp

... only because I've got one on hand that occasionally serves as a vocal monitor. This would be the "just any 2x5" that you mention. :D But maybe it's worth hearing some additional upper mids and highs, even if it's not the most optimal sound. That's where the volume control could be handy.

Just a thought. Really hoping it's not needed.

Eric

6. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Speaking of 5" drivers, how about the Bose 800 series speakers that have 8 of those puppies. Those always sound good to me for upright bass. Very articulate.

I used to own and use one very early Bose cab, made of wood, not plastic. It was a bit heavy due to the wood construction, and I never really had the right power amp to drive it efficiently. It still sounded great. These days, with lightweight power amps and all, I think the old Bose 8x5 might be worth checking out.

7. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Just theorizin' here;
    Many GK heads are setup for bi-amping. You could setup the regular cab (set for full range) and then plug the galaxy into the HI output.
    Would that work?

8. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Howzabout a 901? Point the eight-speaker side at your drummer (who probably needs all of them), and keep the single-speaker side for yourself.

9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Hello,
    I had a pair of Bose 802's that I paired with one of Walter Woods' 400 Watt MI amps. I was also using a Fishman Bass Blender and either a Fishman BP-100 (that I hated) or a Underwood that sounded much better. At least for me, they didn't even compare to the EA VL series cabinets.
    I think one of the problems is that those speakers had a funny EQ that really sounded better with Brass, Vocal, and Upper Strings. They also had a "Active Equalizer" that had a very unusual EQ curve that you couldn't use with the Double Bass. Just my take mind you.

Ric

10. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes, maybe the 800 Bose speaker had more depth than the later 802. I wouldn't invest much cash in one either. Now that I have a WW Ultra, I wouldn't mind trying a single Bose speaker. I'm not interested in carrying two speaker cabs. If a good deal comes up on an old one, I'll grab it!

Back to the Phil Jones 2x5.....the marketing to us bassists who long for an easy schlep is good..... The reality of usefulness seems to be varied from what I've read. From what I hear, the only thing reliable point gig- wise with the 2x5 concept is in the realm of personal monitoring.

11. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    That Galaxy Audio Hot Spot that ewarren88 mentioned might be interesting. I think others have mentioned it before. Granted your bass cab and/or PA would be delivering your sound to the room, but the OP and MR PC both have used the term "personal monitor."

With the Hot Spot, the tuning that flatback mentioned is probably not optimal for DB. Maybe Phil Jones could do a better job for us bassists in a similar package. For the Hot Spot, the low end freq rolloff starts at 150 Hz, which is like a D on our G string, almost two octaves above an open E. But I presume you would still hear a portion of the low register content, but mostly a fair dose of "intonation information" via those mids and highs. That's of course what it was designed for (for vocalists).

At $140 and 4.5 lbs. :eek:, might be a worthwhile experiment. I would think you could return it (depending on the retailer) or sell it easily if it didn't wok out.