PJB Briefcase... I know that it is good, but when compared...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassPulsar, May 5, 2005.

1. BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    ... with other combos or heads/cabs out there (for the same amount of money), is it a good investment?

Is its portability the only thing that can justify the money spent??

Hope I made my point clear.... :meh:

Thank you very much for your time and attention....

Best Regards.

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I owned one for a while and it is a really nice piece of gear. It is what it looks like, a miniature hi-fidelity bass rig. I used it for practice, noodling, coffeehouse gigs... and it sounded and functiond very well. It costs a lot less than an Acoustic Image Contra, is similar in sound quality, and it runs on 12v or AC so it can be used in more settings. It won't go as loud as a Contra, but that was my frame of reference for the PJB.

I don't know about the justification part. The Briefcase is a lot of amp and not a lot of money when compared to other amps in its class, and there aren't many in its class.

I wouldn't compare it to a combo that didn't have the same features. What would the point be? You could spend $500 on a different piece of gear... not exaclty a news flash. If you want a high fidelity combo that runs on internal batteries, who exactly are you going to call?

Crate Bass Bus
    Pignose Hog 30
    the list gets very short very fast. Neither of those rigs sounds anywhere as good as the Briefcase, neither has a DI, neither will work as a high-quality preamp...
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 to fretlessrock's excellent comments, above.