Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PJB Piranha?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottomfeedins, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Has anyone tried or seen the new Piranha cabs by Phil Jones? If so, how do they sound? What's the price range? Any reviews? :ninja:

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    All of Phil Jones cabs are Piranha series. There are a lot of reviews on TB, so it's probably easiest if you perform a search.

3. Didn't find too much. I'll take some reviews; or if this is a useless thread then let me know, but I'm wondering cuz they look super cool. :bag:

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I was going to buy the PJB cabs, but here are the main faults:

1. Very expensive. You're pretty much going to pay the list price, or close to it.

2. They're not all that special. Think of it this way: Are 9 5" drivers more efficient than 1 15" driver? Yes, I would say so. Because the 9 5" drivers have more magnet mass, they'd have more punch and power. However, which is going to be heavier? When you add more magnet mass, you increase weight. Even the lowly 9B is about 70lbs, which is quite heavy for a 1x15" ( similarly sized 1x15" cabs are about 40 ~ 60lbs. ). If you want the equivolent of a 4x10" cab, you'd need the 16B, which is a whopping 130lbs. It may be the size of a 4x10", but it's heavier than any 4x10" I've ever seen. It may not be important to everyone, but for me, weight is my rate limiting factor. I can tolerate 2 50lb. cabs. I cannot tolerate 1 100lb. cab. The way I see it, if you're able to lift the 16x5", you could just get an 6x10" or 4x12" and save some weight while you're at it.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well - they'll sound different than a 6x10 or 4x12, too, and for some people that may be a benefit that outweighs the extra cost/weight. This is a subjective thing, and so I don't think your argument really is enough to back up "not all that special". Are there any other, conventional cabs, out there that sound just like them? I don't know. I'm guessing probably not.

6. I think the people that can afford PJ's $10k amps or $2k cabs can also afford roadies, lorries and gantries.

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Oh, I'm sure there's a different sound to them, which would justify their existence. My only point is that these cabs are not really as efficient as they may seem; you can do a lot better with the big speakers because they don't weigh as much. Nevertheless, the principle is solid. After all, any decent 4x10" would have a better overall sound than an Accugroove Whappo Grande, although that's not to say that the big 21", 18" and 15" speakers don't serve a purpose as well.

8. billhw13

billhw13 Supporting Member

May 10, 2002
    Clinton, NJ
    Well, I've been using the sixpak combo with a 9B extension cab since Nov '03, and really like the tone of my basses through them. I think, if you don't have any gig-time with this equipment, it would be difficult to give an opinion on it. They have a different sound, that's for sure, and they only really shine in a live situation. I haven't brough out my Mesa tube head and Mesa cabinets since I purchased the Phil Jones amp - I like it that much!

9. I had about a month of gig time with my PJB system (6T and 9B). Several different venues. I found it difficult to work with regarding its midrange (really at any volume). I even pulled out the old Ashly graphic to try to dial out some of the honk I was experiencing. I mainly gig w/ a Jazz Bass, and just when I thought I'd found a workable tone w/ the bass wide open (both p/u); I'd have to play a tune with a little more back p/u emphasis...and 'damn!' - I'd be back fiddling w/ knobs again! I just can't be doing that onstage.

Positives: Nice, smooth low end. Can handle the higher wattage amps withough farting out.
    Negs: Mid 'honk'. Required A LOT of boost in the highs to achieve (what I would consider) a natural response. They are heavy. Also, the leather-like covering on the cabs is definately not what you'd call 'durable'. Mine received some pretty disheartening marring with minimal handling. With every bump, I thought, "There's another $50 off what I'll be able to sell it for..." There's need for improvement (especially considering the relatively high sticker price.)

All that said...some folks like their tone, but I think there are a considerable amount of other options to ponder before layin' out cash for a product that will most likely than not, go thru some design changes to improve it's lot regarding some of the comments above. They have potential, but IMO, not quite there yet.

10. billhw13

billhw13 Supporting Member

May 10, 2002
    Clinton, NJ
    Interesting that you mention the high end. It's a matter of personal taste, but I have usually found that most cabs with horns sounds very un-natural.. and if they didn't have a horn , then there wasn't enough high end. So, for me, the PJB cab's sounded about right, as far as high end response. Of course, some basses will sound darker than others, and in those instances, I did find it useful to kick in a little treble boost. The Aphex Bass xciter pedal does a great job of bringing out high end detail, and I use that with some basses. Just a thought.

11. Oh yeah, Aphex has being making great stuff for years. I used to use their (old) Aural Exciter in the half rack before they were even building cabinets with horns.
    You're right about the PBJ high end response. It really is a matter of taste. And yes, I agree, some horns definately can sound 'un-natural'. Nowadays, it seems to be en vogue to manufacture cabinets with incredible numbers...(watts and all kinds of other toutings) to make the 'bigger is better' crowd brim (and buy)...with super powered horns, they're really are a little much. I personally prefer the higher freq. and basically 'cheaper' variety; ie...the old Henry Jr. 4x8. It had this cheesy little plastic unit that wasn't crossed over till it hit like 7K (or at least it sounded that way to me). I never blew it up and gave a real natural sheen to things. I've recently been putting some LDS gear thru the paces, and so far I'm quite impressed.

12. ryanowens

ryanowens Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 1, 2004
    Houston
    Trickfish Amplificaton
    if any of you are interested in the phil jones stuff and want to give it a try I have a used rig for sale at a great price. M-500 amp 9B and 6T cabs.
    ryan.owens@earthlink.net