1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Place Your Bets - 135th Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 57pbass, Apr 29, 2009.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I work with this guy..this will appear in The NY Observer over the weekend... should be a great race

The 135th KENTUCKY DERBY
    BY
    JEROME A. KEEL

On Saturday afternoon shortly after six o’clock the starter will spring the latch to send the field of twenty on their way in the 135th Kentucky Derby.

Let’s take a look closer at who I think are the contenders.

# 11- Chocolate Candy:
    Ran third to Pioneer of The Nile. He’s an improving colt. Mike Smith in the saddle. He knows how to win the big one. Will be a nice price on Derby day. Use in exotics.

# 19- Desert Party:
    One of two colts from the Godolphin stable. Was beaten by stable mate regal Ransom. In the UAE Derby. Has had some good works at Churchill Downs. His stable-mate Regal Ransom should make sure of a good early pace in the race.

# 15- Dunkirk:
    Lost his jockey Gomez when he went to ride Pioneer of the Nile. He will have Edgar Prado in the saddle. With no racing as a two-year old. He’ll have to be a super horse to win this race, but this colt can hit the board. He will be heard from down the road, in other big races.

# 6- Friesan Fire:
    Has done nothing but win. He will be coming off a seven-week layoff. Has been training well. The question about him going a Mile and a quarter will be answered. He has never run farther then a mile and a sixteenth.

# 13- I Want revenge:
    Has been beaten by Pioneer of The Nile on the west coast but has turned into a monster when shipped to the east coast to run on dirt. In my thirty-seven years of following horses I have never seen. A performance like the one He put together in the Wood Memorial. Will he be able to put together three great performances in a row? I want Revenge and Pioneer of The Nile could become one of the great rivalries in racing.

# 3- Mr. Hot Stuff:
    Is an improving colt? Will be closing in the lane. He’s a full brother to Colonel John. Use in exotics.

# 7- Papa Clem:
    Ran good race in first dirt start. Should be in the early mix. Has finished first or second in four races around two turns.

# 16- Pioneer of The Nile:
    This colt has been my top pick since the beginning of my reports. Has not lost a race since be taken over by Bob Baffert. He’s won four stakes races. I think Nile will run that same kind of race I Want Revenge ran in his first race on dirt .The Derby should set up perfectly for him. He will get a good pace to close into. He’s the type of colt that has an attitude I refuse to lose. Garret Gomez is sticking.

And now we come to my selections for the 135th Kentucky derby.

# 16 - Pioneer of The Nile
    # 13 - I Want revenge
    # 11 - Chocolate Candy
    # 15 – Dunkirk

Good luck and safe trips to all the horses and jockeys.

See you at the windows.
    April 30, 2009

2. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    My money's on this guy

[​IMG]

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    # 11- Chocolate Candy
    # 16- Pioneer of The Nile
    # 6- Friesan Fire
    # 13- I Want revenge

4. 57pbass

I am curious about General Quarters.....I will throw him in the mix...

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    $10 on dunkirk to win.

6. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    The horse that takes a leak before the race will win.

7. 57pbass

:bassist:

8. I always go for the horse with the best name - I Want Revenge is my vote.

9. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Mehh.....

I'll be at Belmont as it always comes around my birthday. If I manage not to puke before the 7th from being trashed, I'll be a happy guy.

10. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    who would have ever guessed Mine That Bird what a great race!!!

11. I made $500 off that horse! A friend and I were looking at the odds just before the race and saw that there were two 50-1 long shots. He took one and I took the other and we bet each other $10 at 50 to 1 (so basically we bet each other $500) for win only. It was supposed to be a joke because neither of us figured it would really happen.

Imagine the shock!

:)

12. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Nice!

13. 57pbass

I put a decent amount of money accross the board on the # 2 Musket Man..so it was not a total loss..
    I hope Mind That Bird wins The Preakness... The Belmont Stakes could be an all time classic...