1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Place your bets: Will Ike kick us while we're down?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    What do you think? I'm putting 340.750 drachmas on yes.

[​IMG]

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "I'm back, b*tches!"

[​IMG]

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Is it bad Tina Turner came to my mind first as well?

4. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    It doesn't look good. But, there's plenty of time for things to change the situation.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    There's a chance it'll hit Tampa Bay, too, so I'm hoping it just dies or goes somewhere else... :atoz:

6. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    My mom and dad are still without power in lower Terrebonne Parish. My brother just got power yesterday in Houma proper. I am appaled at the lack of coverage of the actual places that got damaged. The eye of the storm passed right over my parents house. They called me during the passing.

7. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    ...and yes I think SE Louisiana is going to take another hit.

8. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    still need to post pictures....

and i CAN'T wait to move..

9. ...man...just...man...

:atoz:

:(

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hope not, Ben. I assume you're back in NOLA now?

bc

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes, I am - for the time being.

12. Sigh...

Just came back from Dallas.

13. hopefully with the right wind conditions southern Florida gets some nice surf..but of course the people and the region is much more important..

14. I started semi-seriously house shopping in another state yesterday. Decent school districts, lower cost of living. Man it's tempting.

Mike

15. Louisiana isn't hopeless, but it's going to be a LONG time before it gets back to where it was, and longer still to fulfill its potential. Jindal seems to have it together and be moving things in the right way, but until there are more state and local leaders of his ilk, and fewer and better none of Nagin's type, it will never get out of being a banana republic state.

Just so I'm aware of what to avoid...what state were you looking at??? :ninja:

Not NC, right? :bag:

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    My wife's entire (and very large family) is located in Houma. Her parents are over by the mall, while the rest of them are split between two different neighborhoods off of Savanne Rd near 311. None of them have power yet. Some sustained near complete damage of their homes, while others, like my wife's parents, got none.

My wife's grandmother died during the evacuation of her nursing home. It wasn't much of a surprise, but it made the storm that much more difficult for everyone.

Her parents are retired, and we've almost got them convinced to move

17. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Tennessee is a terrible place to live. More expensive than NYC, more crime than Detroit. I suggest NC.......
    :bag:

18. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    You could always move to SE Missouri. Heck, I might even hook you up with my sister... if we ever break up.

Seriously, I don't know about moving away. It always sounds like a good idea till you get there, and nobody has even heard of Community Coffee. Or boudin!!!!! These places are unworthy of habitation.

19. ...Tennessee is not THAT far away from me, and I WILL come hunt you down, n. cognito or not! :spit:

;)

...man, I love the state of LA so much it hurts to not be there, but the negatives outweigh the positives for me at this point in my life, so I have to make do with visits.

Plus, NC is actually pretty cool...for some reason, there are a lot of ex-pat Lousy-anians here...

20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ben, I wish the best for you. My friend's cousin just went home yesterday, and said it looks like there may be another mandatory evacuation by Tuesday! From talking to her this past week, it sounds like she and a lot of her family are ready to give up on New Orleans. I'm hearing that more and more, too. Sad.