Placebo - "Sleeping With Ghosts"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by volker, May 23, 2003.

1. Has anyone else of you guys heard Placebo's latest album, and if yes, what do you think about it?

I reckon it is a lot better than their previous one ("Black Market Music"), even though it took quite some time for it to grow on me.
  2. I've heard it (my sister has it and plays it all the time).

IMO, it's the best whole album that Placebo have ever done, but it doesn't contain any single song as good as Nancy Boy, Every You Every Me or Pure Morning. It's also good that they've added electronic sounds to it, it just brings them up to date a bit more.

But nothing can hide Brian Molko's whiny voice or the very generic teenage angst feelings and themes.

They've got their market, they're not really treying to branch out. It's a thumbs down from me.

FWIW, I have Without You I'm Nothing, I bought it on the strength, of the singles - they are really strong, but the rest of it.... almost sub-filler standard! IMO, of course.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I love their first album; "36 Degrees" is their best single ever IMO, and "Without You I'm Nothing" was quite good as well, but their third album was just terrible. I'm willing to give this new one a try though.
  4. yeah.

they're re-treading old ground- the first single off the new album sounded just like "bruise pristine"- the same old Eminor, C progression cropping up everywhere.

Brian Molko is also pretty annoying in interviews- remember his "I am sexier than jesus christ" quote back around 96':rolleyes:

also he said no-one had used a setup with guitar and Fender 6string bass before- er, Joy Division and New Order ring any bells, Brian?
  5. How about very early Cream, when Jack Bruce had the Fender Bass VI?

Maybe someone should mention these things to him?

6. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    A bit disappointing. I want more of the self indulgence of pure morning and nancy boy.

My mum's partner knows him pretty well and i've been lucky to have met them at the 'for scott' tribute concert a while ago that they stage managed, and i have to say, yes he is sexier than jesus :oops:
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nothing new.
    I'm in a Placebo cover band so we really got into it, and it's only a re-use of their old licks with a few samples.
  8. ...and The Cure - they popped up in my mind when I first heard Placebo.

And I agree, a lot of the chord changes on the new album have already been used on their previous albums, plus the bass-playing on those ones was more inventive. long as it's English it sounds good to my "german ears". Probably an advantage. :)
  9. yeah, also the singer wearing makeup...although Robert Smith was considerably less likely to be mistaken for a woman:D

I'm not sure if the Cure ever used the exact guitar-6stringbass-drums setup though - AFAIK the actual bassists always used 4string basses.

people are joking about Brian Molko going bald.

ps. here's a rather childish bit of Molko-bashing i did on another forum, using a scan from the front cover of free ads paper Loot;

10. Dunno about their early days, but nowadays Placebo don't use this setup a lot themselves when performing on stage; they are supported by an additional musician who plays the (regular 4 string) bass whenever Stefan Olsdal doesn't . I just think you can hear in a lot of Placebo's songs that they must be using equipment similar to The Cure's (Fender VI, Fender Jazzmaster).

And to "Bri going bald": Yes, he's been getting heaps of sh** recently for that, especially from his own fans (lots of whom will get there themselves one day, hehehe)!

Oh and I must commend that wonderful ad! @ Mock The Turtle Regulator

11. it only me or do Brian Molko and Cameron Diaz really look similar to each other?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  12. dunno about that, but Brian Molko and Asia Argento-

13. ...but only as long as he's wearing make-up!

I reckon he looks more like Mike Oldfield in
    this one, or like that Pal guy of a-ha.
  14. ...yes, that's excactly my opinion, too! Quite a homogenous album, the new one. When I listen to "Black Market Music" I always skip tracks, but not with this one...ok, I am sometimes tempted when "Something Rotten" comes on... :)