1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Placebo to Oliv G string?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TroyK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Have we found a placabo to the OLIV g string yet?

2. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    This is a subject that I am interested in, too. I made the silly mistake of trying an Oliv G and now I love it. Why do we do this to ourselves? We know how expensive these things are!

I asked Monte to compare the Oliv G to Velvet 180 G in another thread and this was his response:

"I've always thought that the Oliv G is the best overall out there. Both of them are really good, and the only 2 G strings IMHO opinion that you can bow open and sound good. Sustain is a little more on the Olivs, tension maybe a little less, volume is similar, as is tone, although the pizz tone on the Oliv's seems a litte better. The Velvets are easier to bow anywhere on the string."

Anyone else have any comparisons of the Oliv G to other strings? Comparisons of volume, sustain, brightness, arco-ability, tension, etc. would be very useful and appreciated.

Solo Dominants?
    Animas?
    rumored new steel-wrapped Eurosonics?

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I bought the Anima G that was in the classifieds today. I'll let you know how that goes.

Glad I finally put that OLIV on for my recording because it sounded good. I can't seem to bring myself to take it back off yet.

4. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I love the Oliv :) G string too. What do you all think about the Oliv D ?

5. Bobby:
    On my Kays I found the D for pizz was a much "heavier/thicker" sounding string..... without the wonderful qualities of the Oliv G. I don't bow so the D may be very good for arco.
    I would say that the Oliv G is probably the best G string I have played but I had some unwinding problems (perhaps because of the dry basement in the winter) on a couple and have since given up on them.
    I am now using the Pirastro nylon-wrapped Pizzicato G. It has been on for almost two years and has lasted very well. Gives me the sound I like on my old King bass. It also works well on the King with Obligato's or Spirocore Weich's.

Regards

Martin.