Placebo to Oliv G string?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TroyK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Have we found a placabo to the OLIV g string yet?
  2. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    This is a subject that I am interested in, too. I made the silly mistake of trying an Oliv G and now I love it. Why do we do this to ourselves? We know how expensive these things are!

I asked Monte to compare the Oliv G to Velvet 180 G in another thread and this was his response:

"I've always thought that the Oliv G is the best overall out there. Both of them are really good, and the only 2 G strings IMHO opinion that you can bow open and sound good. Sustain is a little more on the Olivs, tension maybe a little less, volume is similar, as is tone, although the pizz tone on the Oliv's seems a litte better. The Velvets are easier to bow anywhere on the string."

Anyone else have any comparisons of the Oliv G to other strings? Comparisons of volume, sustain, brightness, arco-ability, tension, etc. would be very useful and appreciated.

Solo Dominants?
    rumored new steel-wrapped Eurosonics?
  3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I bought the Anima G that was in the classifieds today. I'll let you know how that goes.

Glad I finally put that OLIV on for my recording because it sounded good. I can't seem to bring myself to take it back off yet.
  4. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I love the Oliv :) G string too. What do you all think about the Oliv D ?
  5. martinc

martinc Supporting Member

On my Kays I found the D for pizz was a much "heavier/thicker" sounding string..... without the wonderful qualities of the Oliv G. I don't bow so the D may be very good for arco.
    I would say that the Oliv G is probably the best G string I have played but I had some unwinding problems (perhaps because of the dry basement in the winter) on a couple and have since given up on them.
    I am now using the Pirastro nylon-wrapped Pizzicato G. It has been on for almost two years and has lasted very well. Gives me the sound I like on my old King bass. It also works well on the King with Obligato's or Spirocore Weich's.