1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Placement of Bass PodXT?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lotsolowend, Sep 18, 2008.

1. lotsolowend

lotsolowend

Aug 23, 2006
    Nederland, Tx
    I've searched TB and google and can't seem to find what i'm looking for. Where do you guys suggest to put a Bass PodXT in a signal chain?

I used to always put it first but I didn't really have any effects to pair it with and now my board is growing rather quickly so I need to figure out. It seems like it should go at the end since it models amps but I've had a bit of volume trouble in doing that. Honestly I haven't experimented enough with it because I'm evacuated from Hurricane Ike so I haven't been able to hook this all up in a while so hopefully you guys can give me some ideas

current chain: schecter studio4 -> line6 DL4 -> dunlop bass wah -> mxr d-III (with battery sag from power supply) -> bass podxt -> rc20xl loop station -> crate bt100 amp

2. lotsolowend

lotsolowend

Aug 23, 2006
    Nederland, Tx
    humpty bumpty

3. lotsolowend

lotsolowend

Aug 23, 2006
    Nederland, Tx
    No one uses PodXT in their chains?

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think for many people that use the PodXT, it IS their chain.

5. lotsolowend

lotsolowend

Aug 23, 2006
    Nederland, Tx
    well thats just no fun :/
    i did that for years but it limits you to one modulation based effect, one stompbox, and one delay. Excellent bang for the buck so to speak and its worked great for the 2 years i've had it but i'm growing so i need to find a place for it

6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I think it generally should be last. Most folks put level type effects first (overdrive, bost, and other stuff, but also you want effects that need the cleanest signal first too like Octave... Modulation chorus, flange, delay.... usually come last before the amp. I would tend to put it last. You may want to put delays and crud after, if it works better.
    I have the X3 and I only use 1 external effect with it at this point. It is an octave with distortion on the octave effect (akai unibass). It goes first. I am also using the x3 for the guitar like sound coming out of the unibass for better distortion.

7. lotsolowend

lotsolowend

Aug 23, 2006
    Nederland, Tx
    you havent noticed a significant difference in volume control by doing that? if i run just pod directly into amp then i can put the output at half and be fine but when i throw my whole chain together i really have to boost it depending on where it is

i guess im just curious what all you TBers do and i need to experiment when i get back into town

8. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Well, I am not sure about the volume issue. I run it this way partly becasue I use the POD as my amp sound. I play at church and we use in ear monitors. This is my sound, and it is virtually the same running it through my amp as it is in the PA (yes there is coloration both ways). I have a solid state combo amp, so there is not much "added" to the sound at the amp. If there are volume issues, I am not aware of them. I used to run effects throught the effects loop in my amp, but it was too much hassle with the volume game. Also my amp ony has a volume and not a gain/volume setup. The preamp is what the knob would turn up, so if I turned up my amp, it would also turn up the signal in the effects loop. I would rather have my pedal board send the signal to the PA as I want it, and then I can use my amp as my personal monitor and turn up/down and eq without affecting the house.

I am not sure if I answered your question, but the way I have it set now, I have my bass turned all the way up, I use patches that are fairly even volume, so when I switch there is not huge difference. I can turn the tiny knob on the back of the POD to adjust the gain out of the POD with out affecting the drive/volume/texture of the amp model. It is pretty much a plug and play issue then. The only volume tweaking is on the tiny gain knob to give the mixing board more or less as necessary, and if I am using my amp I can turn it up or down and since it is after the POD, it does not affect the tone in the PA.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
  10. lotsolowend

lotsolowend

Aug 23, 2006
    Nederland, Tx
    i don't think im ready for series... or better yet i dont think series is ready for me!