Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

placement of fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SpybreakSpaz, Dec 17, 2000.

1. SpybreakSpaz

SpybreakSpaz

Dec 1, 2000
    so i have been playing for about 3 years now i've only just become hardcore into like two months ago though. I have noticed that when you are playing like 16ths on the lower strings and then throw in an open G that yer fingers on the fret board get in the way. I am wondering if there is any technique for avoiding this, do you just lift your fingers off the board and then put em back down or what? I have found that arching my fingers does help BUT the G string is so close to where your hand wraps around the neck that your hand interferes anyway.
    Also anyone got a cure for left handed thumb pain? it hurts after about 10 minutes of fast playing and fast finger transitions.

Thanks

2. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    well, I've got the same prob. as you w/the G problems. BUT, one of the best things I ever recieved for my bass was a thumbrest, I modified it and put some spongy tape on the top for extra cushion, but if you're doing mainly finger work and not much slap, a thumbrest is a good way to go to help with the pain of sticking it on the strings or the pickups.

3. Brook

Brook

Sep 24, 2000
    Play with the very tips of your fingers. And keep your thumb on the back of the neck as close to middle as possible. you might be having pain because your bass is to low. other than that practice alot to build up finger speed and stamina.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    So you're one of those wear-low, thumb-around-the-neck fellas... no wonder you're having problems. The hand shouldn't wrap around your neck there!

Strap up and position your left hand thumb on the middle of the neck. Elementary technique. Your attitude will lose, but your skills will win and your body will thank you.

5. I think you probably do have to remove your hand from the fretboard in order to get that open G to sound. However, remember that the same note can be fretted on your D string 5th fret, etc.

As far as the thumb pain, it's cramping up on you. This probably means you're not relaxed enough. Use your thumb as an anchor, but remember not to try and hold the bass up with it. That's what the strap is for!

Oh, and Spaz, fill out your profile. It would help to know what styles you play. :)