Placement of single 1x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, Jul 8, 2002.

1. OK, so you guys and gals with single 1x12 cabs... do you place them directly on the stage floor to get the most bass or do you raise them up a couple of feet (like on a chair or case) so they project better?

And no, stacking it on a second 1x12 is NOT an option at this time!
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Up on a milk crate is good, as is slightly tilted back. Only thing that is definitely NOT good is sitting flat on the floor--too hard to hear.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i just sit mine on the floor. its hard to hear sometimes, but usually i just walk out a little, and all's well.
  4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I cut a square piece of 3/4" plywood and bolted some folding card table legs to it. It folds flat so its portable and raises the cab about 18" off the ground. It looks a little dorky but if I play gigs where that matters I can throw a black sheet over it. It is not the sturdiest solution but as long as you don't bump into it too much it should be cool.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've started playing a three story restaurant with 1 1x12 cab, and it is plenty loud sitting on the floor (in the corner next to the bar, no less). I even have independent verification (Dave Siff) who said that my Ashbory was more than loud enough from outside about 50 ft away.

If you aren't playing hard rock, you should be fine with it sitting on the floor.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Volume in the room is not the problem, it's being able to hear yourself. I agree that a single 12 sitting on the floor sounds fine to the room. It's just harder to hear yourself in a classic rock trio. Light jazz might be OK. But when that drummer starts to smack 'em...
  7. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, his original question was about filling the room, or projecting, so that was what I went with.

In a classic rock setting, you'd definitely be competing with drums, and a 1x12 shooting at your ankles would certainly be slightly more difficult to hear. :D Are you actually able to play with a classic rock band with only 1x12? I can play jump blues and jazz gigs with 1x12 just fine, but I'd bring my second 1x12 along without even considering trying 1x12 if I was playing rock with distorto-GEEtar. I'm lucky that the drummer I'm playing with does not fit into the Animal "BEAT DRUMS! BEAT DRUMS!" School of thinking. Haven't had a situation where the second 1x12 was needed, yet.
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, in a small room situation when they're on you all night about keeping the volume down. For instance, I have a recurring gig at a Moose Lodge where the first set is super quiet because the old folks are still eating dinner. Then later, the younger people want to dance. I can use the 1x12 because the room is small and the band is a trio with a tasty guitarist and a drummer with jazz touch. Also, when I say classic rock, I'm talking about Beatles, Credence, etc., not Metallica.
  9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ah, I thought you meant Zeppelin, Aerosmith, etc...

Very cool. The place I'm using my 1x12 is a restaurant where they want us loud near the bar, but people can still talk if they are eating dinner on the other two half floors (interesting layout for the place, but it works).
  10. Thanks for the input so far, I should have given you more info... sorry. :oops:

I've been playing bass off-and-on since the mid-60's and my regular gig is a church, but I recently got an opportunity to jam with a variety of musicians at a restaurant/bar. Including me, it's a drummer, 1 or 2 guitars, 1 or 2 basses, and a singer. My amp is a Mesa Boogie with a 1x12 Aguilar cab and a Carvin fretless 5 string with TI flatwounds. The other bass setup is an Eden Traveller through an Eden 4x10XLT and a Peaver Cirrus 5 string or a Fender MIA Jazz.

Both of our amps are running through the PA, but I found it a little hard to hear myself on stage and a little hard to pick my setup out of the mix in the audience. I know... get the soundman to pump me up in the mix a little. Maybe he will once he gets to know me. But I'll still need to hear myself better.

Lastly, the whole thing was a bit disorienting. When I first got on stage I couldn't see squat, I really freaked 'cause I couldn't make out the position dots on the side of the neck (remember I play fretless). That got better when they hit the lights, but I wasn't prepared for how bright and hot they were. Lastly, I didn't know a single song that they (the rest of the band) knew, but I survived it pretty well. Heck, they asked me back this week!
  11. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I have the AG GS 12 and it sounds better on it's side even if sitting on the floor. Bassmonkey, I too play the Ashbory with the 1x12. I used to use a Baby Blue II with it but the fundamental was so extreme that when we ever got louder than normal I was stressing that sweet puppy. So an SM-400 and the GS12 do the job. One trip in.
  12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    If you're being run through the P.A., can they turn you up in the monitor mix? That would help.
  13. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    I too place a single Aggie 12 on it's "side"(handle up) and put a small board under it to angle. that helps to get the tweet firing up at me, and yes, not standing right on top helps with that kinda placement.

I have, however, ordered an EA CXL112(which has a built in handle on the bottom to tilt back the cab.
    I'll repost on it's value as a single standalone spk.
    I'm trying it out to see if it'll put out more that 1 Aggie (so I don't have to bring both of my aggies when I deem I need more)

For all aspiring cab makers: Why dont these cabinets have a lense or something that rotates on the tweeter so you can reflect or bounce the highs in whatever direction?????
  14. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I put my Epifani T-112 on the floor. Putting it up loses too much of the low B-string response for me, and the floor stops vibrating. I can hear it fine.

The Epifani sounds better to me right side up rather than on its side. The tweeter is on top this way, and the vent right at the bottom where it can couple with the room properly.

I have a second T-112, and actually haven't had much call to use both of them at the same time. From what little I've tried, it's obviously convenient to stack them but they sound better with both on the floor.