Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

places in houston

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IVIudvayne, Mar 15, 2003.

1. sorry, i didnt know where to post this so it is in basses because it somewhat relates... but hey... im in houston for the weekend and was wondering if there are any places i should check out... are there any good music shops here??? and is there anything that you guys/gals would suggest???

2. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    You can check out Rockin Robin @ shepard and richmond and texas music emporium @ I-45N and 1960

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was also going to suggest Rockin Robin. It's a neat little store. I believe they are a Bergantino dealer now too. Texas Music Emporium doesn't normally have much of interest in the bass dept. He used to have the odd Ken Smith here and there but I haven't seen anything really cool there in a while. Then again I haven't been there in a while either. It's in north Houston so if that's far from where you are I wouldn't make the trip. If you're into the vintage stuff there's a place on loop 610 called Fuller's Vintage Guitar or something like that...it shares a building with Houston Drum Center and it's on the north side of the loop...I think it's near Ella.

If you happen to be on 1960 there's always Guitar Center. The 1960 location usually has some nice used stuff at inflated prices. Also if you're on 1960 and lookin' for fairly cheap lunch then stop by Chacho's. It's a little mexican joint that kinda resembles a Taco Cabana but the food is MUCH better.

brad cook

4. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Chacos...a great place to eat.

At Texas Music Emporium I believe they have a MTD there right now.

5. thanks you guys... i dont know if i can afford another bass right now but i just want to play some while im down here... if i find one i like i might buy it... but im mainly down here cuz im looking for wood for a bass im going to build... thnx for all of the input and help... i thought about stopping at chachos on the way down but i opted to just wait till i got to my hotel to eat...

what do you think about a bass that is neckthru 4 string....
    - base of neck maple with stringers of purpleheart
    - ebony fingerboard, im thinking about making a octave bass... i dont know though....
    -body made of purpleheart, cocobolo and a birdseye maple veneer on top ofit and the headstock.... tell me what you think....

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sweet...I'm back in the area for a couple of days at my parents house. I'm definitely gonna try to go by and check out the MTD. Is it MTD USA or is it a Kingston or saratoga or something?

brad cook

7. sorry... but no MTD.... i got to play johns Ken Smith though... i only played one of them... they have a really nice custom bass behind the counter... i suggest you try that.... and the two highend ibanez basses...

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Last I was in Rockin' Robin a weeks ago, the bass department was looking really good. The bass guy (can't remember his name) is a nice, down-to-earth fella and he's got some nice stuff in there - including two or three Bergie cabs :)