Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Places in NJ that do electronics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dincrest, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm looking to replace the pickups in my bass with EMGs. Thing is, electronics work is NOT my strong suit (you do not want me anywhere near a soldering iron. I don't care how easy folks say soldering can be) so I'm trying to find a place (in NJ of course) where I could have the pickups/electronics replaced professionally.

I'm in central New Jersey now (Piscataway), have the folks home base in Mt. Laurel and used to live in Mahwah, so I could conceivably rock anywhere in those areas that could do it, but I'd prefer to not go *too* far from Piscataway.

So all you NJ TBers, care to help a fellow Jerseyan out?

Thanks,
    Neal

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    give Nino Brown a PM, he's just over the river in Staten Island.... not more then 30 minutes from ya.

If not and you travel to Toms River (about an hour south... Parkway exit 82) you could visit "the Guitar Guy" Paul is in the book.

only 2 I consider of the locals (but I don't know everyone either)

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thank you James. It may be a while before I get this done (money's an issue for me right now), but I just wanted to do the research in advance. I will definitely keep Nino and Paul in mind.

4. Used to live in the Garden State and am still a Jets fan (now making do in Packer country....). Just another consideration....

Dave's Sound Repair 622 Rt. 10 Whippany, NJ 07981 973-386-5840.

Did me solid for GK repairs and servicing my old guitar player's Mesa. They do guitar work as well. Dave's a hell of a nice guy too....

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dave's Sound Repair is good, but I have heard complaints about Dave, I'm personally a fan though. :)

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I sincerely apologize for bringing up such an old thread, but I recently had some work done on my bass and figured if anyone else in the NJ area needed some advice for repair people, then here's another one.

I went with "Guitar Guru" Rick Giarmo (www.giarmo.com.) I had him install a Carvin flip-up battery compartment on my bass and give it a setup. I must say, the work is incredible and the setup is lovely. Sure the work was all done a month ago, but the now the new strings (SIT PowerWounds) have had a chance to settle and everything plays great.

I will say too that Rick is a very nice guy and his prices are extremely good. I've paid more for professional set-ups and they were NEVER as good as what Guitar Guru did.

A few before and after pictures:

http://www.giarmo.com/Rick Giarmo /pages/Testimonials.html

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    HA! How did you find Rick? I jammed with him briefly in my last band (well till he got let go).

Yeah he was a nice guy (nice wife too).... real 80s type player though. He use to have gig pictures and sound clips on his site.

8. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    How did I find him? Well, during my websearch for repair guys, I came across his site and since he was in my area code and there was a paint job he did for one of the guys in Skid Row, I figured "if the guy in Skid Row trusts this gentleman with his guitar..." so I sent him an e-mail asking if he did work on basses and if he could rout out/install a battery box for me and do a setup. Since he lives partway between my campus and my folks' house, I made an appointment to pay him a visit with my bass during a trip home.

Definitely worth the trip for me, not only for a great repairman, but a cool new pal as well. I didn't get to meet his wife, though.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Very Cool! Tell Rick I said hello! ... tell him I got fed up and quit Vic's band myself ;) (I'd just auditioned as the singer told him he was out)

FYI: I live about 15-20 minutes from him