Places that PAY?!?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by adamaarts, Apr 24, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    well money is tight now that i have my own place. have the money but could use some more.

i was wondering if anyone knows good, maybe unlikely, places that pay for your band to play.

my band gets paid at two bars that we play at that asolutly love us but thats only once a month maybe. i was thinking like parties, conventions, or private clubs etc.

i know that its difficult to get paid in the music biz but anyone know some places?
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    fraternities. My band makes a killing off of 'em.
  3. fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    near a college campus? talk to the university Campus Activities Board, or something similar. If you can land them, gigs for the school pay very well, and they usually have some equipment to throw around as well. Gotta be GOOD, though, especially if you want to get asked back.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you get paid at some bars, you just need to find more bars. :)

My cover band plays good paying bar gigs nearly every Friday and Saturday. You just need to find the ones that pay well, and avoid the others. Build a reputation as a consistent, professional act.

Find out where other bands are playing, talk to them, perhaps they can even let your band sit in for a couple of songs to help you get your foot in the door.

Once you've got the good bar gigs, you'll likely be approached by customers at the bar to do private events. Also, search out the local booking agents and talent agencies. Sometimes its worth paying the commission so you yourself can make $$$ instead of staying at home watching TV.

Best of luck!
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Christmas (company/private)

Civic Associations:
    Elks Club
    American Legion
    Lions Club

Car Shows
    Country Clubs
    Officer/Enlisted Clubs (if you have a base nearby)

This is just a small list of possible place you can play, of course the type of music you play will be contigent upon what gigs you will get. EX: If your a rock band, I wouldnt expect many Civic Associations, Country Clubs, Cocktail parties and things of that nature to hire you, but none the less send them you're bands bio because you never know. You also might want to look into some booking agents if you havent done so already.
  6. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    well not to brag but our band is very professional and also are good performers and people love our music. we have been asked back at those 2 bars at least 4 times each, but we can only play so much origianls a month (we dont play covers)

thanks for the suggestions, i was actually thinking of renting a community center that has a stage and a hall and having a battle of the bands or something similar and profiting from ticket sales.

im going to check into some colleges around here and talk to my manager and see if he can hook us up.

thanks again.
  7. leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    In my (limited) experience it's more difficult to get regular paid gigs doing originals only.

If you want more money join a covers band or change the name of your band for covers gigs.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Book your own gigs.

Rent a VFW hall or similar, promote the heck out of it and see how it is on the other side of the fence.
  10. Renting your own hall and selling tickets seems like a good idea on the surface, but....there's a lot of risk. Not just selling enough tickets to cover costs, either. What about alcohol? If you wanna serve alcohol, be very aware of the legal problems, with licensing, underage drinking, taxes, there's a whole lotta problems. Even if you don't sell alcohol, but tell people BYPB, you are still assuming a level of liability. Clubs have insurance and lawyers, but what happens to you if someone attends your event and then runs into somebody leaving your parking lot? Lawsuit time, and guess who could be found liable. I'm not saying it's right, but something to consider.

I gotta agree with playing covers. More gigs (and money) will be available. CS has a great idea, play covers under a different name. I've known bands that would play rock under one name, then the next nite they'd put on cowboy hats and boots and play under a different name. Not only did it keep 'em employed, it builds versatility which only helps your playing ability.