Places that tolerate bass-only performances?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Im a sock, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Lately I've been writing alot of material that only features the bass. It's interesting, and most of the people I show it too aren't the artsy-fartsy type people who live for stuff like this. So I guess my point is.. if people like it, I'd like to get it out there.. maybe play a few solo gigs or something. Problem is, I have absolutly no idea who or where to send a demo. How do I get started doing this kind of thing? Any info, opinions, whatever?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I think your choice of the word "tolerate" was a good pick. I wouldn't plan on most people being into this.

However, I once saw a very accomplished bassist locally do a 30 minute opening set for a band at a small club. It was a "sit down and watch" kind of place, not a dance club. He knew the band (I think one member was a student of his), and he was very well received.

You might want to check out this route, as well as any open jam nights at bars in your area.

I'd also suggest outdoor festivals and such, where they are more open to different things.
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've attempted some solo bass soundscapes stuff, and it seems to work best in coffee shops. Eclectic clubs work well, but usually only during the week.

You may also try to get in as a side show at a rave or something like it, provided it's electronic sounding enough. I was invited to play at the annual Pimp n' Hoes Ball in New Orleans. Sadly, it didn't happen, but it was another idea for a venue. Get your music out there; the worst that can happen is to be booed off stage.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - you could ask Michael Manring and Steve Lawson, who have played many solo, bass-only gigs in the USA?

They even have their own forum....?
  5. anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    The coffee shop suggestion is a good one. You might want to look into any local art galleries too, depending on what your material is like. If there are any local hangouts for artists in your area you might wanna seek those places out and ask around, you're bound to run into a solo performer or two who will hip you to the right spots, which will likely be the above mentioned coffee shop. ;)

Good luck man.