placing a mixer in the signal chain?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassotus, Jan 23, 2003.

1. bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Advice/comments needed before going out to buy any necessary cables..

On our smaller gigs we've had the luxury of having a friend with some mixing experience control
    the volume balance etc during the gig. Since we have a rather small PA rig the bass has always
    been left out of the mix, and I've been adjusting my volume according to hand-signalled instructions
    shown to me by our sound guy (no, not funny..) This obviously did not work too well, so we've been
    trying following configurations (the mixer sometimes located 15 meters away);
    bass -> effects -------> mixer -------> Trace head -> cab
    bass -> effects -> Trace head -------> mixer -------> cab
    Now the first one was really bad, since the signal level reaching the preamp stage varied all the time.
    The second arrangement did the job, but now that I got a separate power amp and a second cabinet on the way,
    I was wondering what would be the best place for the mixer, with minimal signal degrading;
    between the pre (actually FX send from the TE head) and power amp? Would getting a real preamp help anything? I'm really not very fond of having to run my signal through the mixer but I don't want to be a volume terrorist either (I'd be able to kick our PA anytime..)

2. arfur

Nov 26, 2001
    London, UK

Bass - Effects - Amp - Post-eq DI from amp to mixer - Pre-fade Auxilary from mixer to Power-amp in on the trace - Cab.

This should give the sound guy the ability to control your volume on the auxilary channel with out affecting the sound too much. he can then leave the main fader on that channel down to stop you coming through the PA.
    Here I'm assuming that using the Power in jack on your amp will disconnect the preamp from the poweramp.
  3. bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    I'm going to use the Trace's preamp section for a while with a separate power amp (for driving two 4ohm cabs) so I don't have to worry about that; what worries me is whether the signal level from the Post-EQ D.I.-->mixer-->Power amp is enough for driving the power amp? Would be nice to have that long line as balanced XLR, but I was instructed (in another thread) to rather use the FX send for feeding the power amp..