Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Placing pickups right next to each other?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brendan, May 20, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, I've been pondering this for a while...
    Is there a consequence or a benifit from placing pickups right next to each other? Like the Dingwall Z2

[​IMG]

And I know MadSubwoofer has it on his Alembwick.

Any point? I'm curious, because I know there's been discussions about pickup placement in (uh?) harmonic nodes, sweetspots, being in and out of phase with each other in certain positions... at any particular rate, I'm a stone stoopid type of guy (regardless of what I may or may not have planned on past custom basses), and I'm intrigued by say, a P pup soapbar style pup with a dual coil or a J sandwiched right behind it.

What's the deal with these things?

2. I haven'y noticed much change. Because they are so close, there isn't a lot of tone variety when you select between them, but that's the only drawback I have found. If you want some real advice, ask Bootsy Collins. His bass has around 6 J pups, all right on top of each other.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Works for me. I mean, shoot, I only use one tone anyway. It'd just be a play on the tone, y'know?

4. Two single coils siamesed together = a Musicman pup.

Other than one MM pup, I'd like a bass with two pups separated by one pickup's length. You'll get some variety, but, still retain that instrument's basic sound.

Mike

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Check out this web page and the two references. Some of it is very technical, but the first Tillman article has a good discussion of overtones and nodes and and pickup position. Very informative.

http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wow. Lot of info there. I'm not much for technical stuff...but it looks to me like the only real consequence is a more limited frequency response area choice (tonal options)...Doesn't look like there are any significant blackout areas as opposed to traditional placements.

Neat.