Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

placing your fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by only4him012, Nov 21, 2002.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    ok,...help here~
    where do you prefer placing your thumb? and which part of the string do you place your index and middle fingers to play? right next to the pick ups, next to the end of fingerboard, right on the pick ups...answer me please~~!!:confused:

2. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Let's see....my right hand (plucking hand) moves all over. It really depends on the sound I want or what I'm playing. If I'm playing mostly on the E and A strings (or a fast song) my thumb usually rests on the edge of the pickup. When playing D and G it moves and rests on the E string. It's not a conscious thing, it just does it.

For slower stuff, I tend to have my hand somewhere between the pickup and the neck, thumb is kinda "free floating" a lot. Same for slap/pop.

Maybe look into an instructional book or video. Getting a teacher and taking lessions can really help you develop good playing technique as well.

Hope that helped :D

3. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    while playing on the e string, I place my thumb on the pickup, really really close to the string - plucking fingers touch him after they hit the sting. besides that I`ve learned to place my thumb on the e and a strings. I`m curently learning to pluck notes with the thumb.
    I usually play halfway between pickups (j bass), but tend to move it a bit.
    As for slapping, I slap between the fretboard and the first pickup. When I strum chords I do it in the same place, or move around 20-22 fret.

4. I'm a floater.

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    my bass teacher taught my classmates to anchor their thumb to the pickup (or so they played before)

I have always played with the "floating" thumb and since I dont have problems with it the teacher is also ok with it.

so here's another floater :)

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England

yeah thats what i do. :D ;)

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I'm a floater.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My thumb rests on the pickup when playing the 'E". Otherwise it floats and dampens the un-played strings.

I use I, M, R, fingers on the right hand.

9. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    haha, what?