Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

plaid bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slick519, Aug 13, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    man, i have been trying to figure out a way to make a plaid finish. does anyone know if there are companies that will do this for you, and/or have you ever seen a bass in plaid? right now, i cant afford a professional job, so i think i might buy an essex jazz bass, and some how fix one of my pendleton shirts onto it.

ive always thought that a fuzzy bass would be cool, and a plaid one, none the less!!

(FYI: pendleton wool shirts are very high quality wool shirts, and the patterns they come in are often plaid!)

=w=slicks=w=

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    you mean something like this - or real plaid?

[​IMG]

3. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    ::cartman voice on::

i dunno guys, that looks pretty sweet to me!

::cartman voice off::

oh, and by the way, what do you mean by "real plaid?"

=w=slicks=w=

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That guitar is awesome! Looks like it was commisioned by Scotch tape or something. You could do a simple plaid paintjob pretty easily if you make a stencil or used varying sizes of tape.

BTW slick519, I think by "real plaid" he means a fabric with a plaid pattern.

5. Mindwolf

Mindwolf

Jan 12, 2001
    The ultimate punk rock bass....

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If that's what does it for ya'.

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    i'm sure you could do it... but I don't see why you would want to... but like woodchuck said.. if thats what does it for ya'......

8. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    Mark Hoppus sometimes uses his signature bass but in a pink plaid design.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I plaid bass once. In fact, I still do!

:D

10. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Have you ever seen that cheap stretchy plasticy adhesive material that is often used on cabinets or shelf lining? I usually see it in a simulated woodgrain print.

It comes in rolls and can probably be found in hardware stores. .

If you can find it in a plaid print, that might work.

Another idea: get a big picture or a poster, position it on the body of your stripped bass and trim out holes for the knobs and stuff, spray glue on the body, smooth out bubbles and crinkles, then clear coat it to seal it in and protect it. I saw someone once do that with a print of Salvadore Dali's painting "Persistance Of Memory", you know, the one with the melting pocket watches. It was really cool!

Damn, now I want to go find a cheap bass in a pawn shop just to get creative w/o ruining a quality instrument.

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've got a fuzzy g*****. I took some Leopard-print material a used spray-adhesive to attach it to an old body. It's pretty cool with the gold-sparkle pickup and "Sexy" written in rhinestones on the headstock. :D It's kinda weird having a vacuum an instrument rather than polishing it.

12. This is his most recent bass, according to Fender.

[​IMG]

That's from Madison Square Garden this past May.

13. Make sure that it's an accurate tartan corresponding to whatever clan you are most related to.

Rock on
    Eric

14. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or

yeah, im thinking of doing it in the Boyd tartan, but my friend wants his clan to be on my bass, the McDougal (sp??) tartan, but we'll see. ill try to post pictures when im done with it. right now i think that im gonna cut up a wool shirt and somehow glue it on there. IMO that is gonna be really cool!

=w=slicks=w=

15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You could try it with a small roll of wall paper?

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would think that would hurt someone's back pretty bad.

oh, wait, you said _p_laid on a bass. oh, nevermind.

17. BAD JOHN!! NAUGHTY JOHN!!

::whacks John with a rolled up newspaper::

Rock on
    Eric

18. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002

I don't get it

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :rolleyes: Spell plaid without the p.