Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plain finger practice. Without the bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Squice, Jul 6, 2001.

1. can anyone point me at some good finger practice. without the bass..

some years ago. i cut my hand.. and after the operation. i didn´t practice my fingers enough.. so they are little letting my down.. just can´t do now all the things i want to do/could do before and can do if my damn finger would stick to their part.

ps. its my right hand. and i play righthanded bass.

best regards.

David

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I wouldn't do any ecercises without the bass except for some careful(!) finger stretching.
    It may be better to see a chiropractor for a diagnosis and some advice.
    Usually you get all the finger exercise you need when practising WITH the bass.
    After all, you don't need strength but dexterity.

3. i agree with JMX, bass playing in itself is good exercise for your finger strength. i find that stretching my fingers, hands, and wrists helps to loosen me up and keep me supple.

4. i posted this in a previous thread..

i do this practice every day. ( maybe i'll add some illustrations later on )

- copy -

go sit in front of a table and use the edge of the table.. try to do this as fast as you can :

1) touch the edge with a fist and raise hand again
    2) touch the edghe with your thumb and raise hand again
    3) touch the edge with your indexfinger and little finger at the same time and raise hand again
    4) touch the edge with your middlefinger and ringdfinger at the same time and raise hand again

if you can do it in a smooth motion then you're doing great

- paste -
    :)

5. wynnguitars

wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    fl
    Try sssssssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy pppppppppppppppuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttttyyyyyyyy it works pretty good press fingers into it one at a time.