1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

plain/varnished gut G & D.....(once more)

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jmpiwonka, Apr 29, 2006.

1. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    ok, i can't help but want to try out some plain or varnished guts for the G and D strings. alot of the players that have the tone i dig seem to use gut....so i guess i need to see what my bass will sound like with some too.

i have some flexocors and some permanents so i could play with either of those for a match.

i'm thinking about the Lemur "varnished european" gut strings (pricepoint is attractive for an experiment), i'm wondering how much better will some chorda, dluglecki or other high quality gut be than the lemur stuff????

where will i notice the difference....arco-ability? intonation? volume? durability? feel?.......

are chorda's varnished?

2. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I went with Lemur Varnished Gut(Efrano) in my gut experiment. I think it was a good approach. There's a consensus in the threads and PMs that the Chorda G is better than the Efrano G for arco. The Efrano G can be really volatile. If I was to do it again, I'd probably spend the extra money for the Chorda G.

3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Having tried Efrano, Chorda and now the varnished Gamuts (Lyon), I personally think there's no comparison. I hated Efranos especially for arco and the gut just doesn't seem the same - doesn't have the same quality of tone. Chorda G was OK but I could not live with the D which I found very dead sounding. I have not tried Dlugolecki but he doesn't make varnished strings so I didn't bother. Dan Larson's (Gamut) strings aren't not cheap but I think they are worth it.

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    yeah, i was hoping to see a post from you Adrian.
    thanks.

how long will some quality varnished gut strings last on average?

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    You can generally expect gut strings to last a very long time - longer than most other kinds of strings. The problem is that if you are playing a lot of pizz, they will wear down in the region where your right hand makes contact but varnishing definitely helps slow down the wear.