1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plan to get Half Rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Oct 13, 2013.

1. What would be the Best Low B string that will not make me worried about snapping the string... too many people are saying .140 or .145. Am trying to get all of my Basses to 130 or 125,105,80,65,45. Which on my 6 string which am going to buy sooner or later. .125 or .130,105,80,65,45,30. I like playing metal but knowing my self that one that breaks strings a lot because of over tuneing. Or am I just a jacka**. lol

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Have you ever tried them? Most people really don't like halfrounds. They manage to combine the worst of rounds and flats and they're sticky to the touch. Do you have a four string you could try them on? A four string set will be less of a waste of money than a six string set if it turns out you agree with the general consensus.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've used only half rounds for years now. To me they are the best of both worlds between rounds and flats

I don't play metal though... They have more of an old school classic vibe to them.... are you sure you want them?

what the hell are you doing to B strings to break them? I don't even know what overtuning is, but it sounds really unnecessary

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    If GHS starts making their .138 Super Steel again, it is about the best in terms of feel and even tension.

I don't think you would like half-rounds from your playing description. Since you break a lot of strings, I would go with something less expensive, like a set of the D'Addario Pro Steels, and have Jason fix you up with a .135 to see if you like that.

Check your bridge and nut. The saddle has to be so far back that sometimes there is too much "break" angle over the bridge for a B string, and the anchor point may need to be modified. Likewise, the nut needs a good witness point and back slope to make sure the string doesn't bind.

Finally, make sure you are using the correct length string for your bass so that the main windings do not bind around the tuner post. Again, Jason has an article about the proper length of strings on his web site and he can help you choose the proper string.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Half Round Low-B Strings have the same mass as heavier gauge strings.

They start as larger strings and are shaved down to be .125 or .130 strings.

6. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I've used half rounds with a 5 string with good results. To me they are a little on the bright side. I prefer something with a little more thump. The half rounds are very reasonable priced so you can try them and if you don't like them then you can try something else without breaking the bank.

7. Yes and no... I hace to re but it again

8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    What?

9. People snap B strings? :confused:
    They're the lowest tension string of the 5. 130 is fine by me.

10. I was going to quote someone but I was useing my Cell phone. Sorry.

11. I have not yet snaped one the b or E yet lets hope I never do. lol.

12. I Order from you guys all the Freaking time you guys have the best sevrive I can fine.

13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Thank you for that!

14. Your welcome, you are the only ones I can find at a good price for snigle Strings.