1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plane crash kills 97 Polish officials, including their president

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BioDriver, Apr 10, 2010.

1. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/04/10/poland.president.plane.crash/index.html?hpt=C1

To say this is a shock would be a massive understatement.

2. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Holy crap, I saw this briefly on the news earlier but I didn't realise it was the President who was on board.

3. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yeah, that's quite a shock.

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    To everyone that thinks this is a shock...

Who the **** allowed 97 of the highest ranked officials on the same plane?

Seriously.

This is 2010

Who the *#@! allowed that to happen?

5. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I don't know **** 'bout Poland.

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    For those who are unaware, a little background may help - they were attending a commemoration of the murder of 20,000+ Polish officers, priests, college professors and other intelligentsia at Katyn during WW2. The Soviets executed them in the forests then buried the evidence both literally and figuratively. When the Germans entered that area and discovered it, they reported it to the world figuring it would drive the Allies apart. The Soviets denied it, murdered anyone involved on their side, then blamed the Germans despite overwhelming evidence that it was the Soviets - their own Allies that murdered them. It took until the 1990's for the Soviets, now Russians to finally admit it. There are some there who still deny it and others who still claim that the Poles "deserved it". (There are also many Russians who stand shoulder to shoulder with the Poles on the issue)
    Anyway, to Polish culture, this is 911 X a million and almost sacred in the way it's viewed hence the important delegation on the plane.
    RIP Kaczysnki i niech zyje Polska :(

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Poland is one of the biggest and most active Allies in Iraq and Afghanistan, and they also currently in a process of modernization that's leaving many if not most of the former Warsaw Pact nations in the dust.
    They are FAR far from a backwater 3rd world country. Trust me, I lived there for a while.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It is very sad news. And ironic that it was for a Katyn memorial commemoration.

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Very tragic. May they all RIP.

10. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    What a terrible tragedy. My prayers and condolences go out to the nation of Poland.

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Regardless of terrorism, planes can and will fail. There is always something that could happen, in this case it did. This is why we do not allow all of our highest ranking officials in the same room together; there is always someone in a distant protected area.

12. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I just busted out laughing at this one. No offence man.

13. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    damn. What a horrendous irony. The polish president dies while traveling to Russia to make peace with the people who slaughtered his countrymen decades ago.

14. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    When this stuff used to happen it was always in South America.

What a strange set of times we live in.

15. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Is it just me, (maybe from growing up during the cold war) but does this smell fishy, The more I have read about this today the more it doesn't seem right.

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Agreed, but I don`t know. I find it funny in an ironic sort of way, but very sad in a realistic way as well.

Best wishes to Poland and their people.

17. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Very sad situation, although from a black humor perspective it does seem like the punchline to the biggest Polish joke ever.

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Horrible accident. Condolences to the family and people of Poland.

Poland has a good safety record. Their national airline flies a mixed bag of US, Brazil and French airplanes. They have no Russian equipment. They're a good airline. As for Russian made equipment, they're bullet proof. There aerobatic airplanes out class everything out their. This will come down to pilot error. I fear the pilot may have suffered from "got to get there-itis" since he was carrying so many dignitaries to such a significant event.

Very sad for Poland. A great country and great people.

19. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Well, it will take some time before we get a better picture of what happened. It's almost definitely just an accident but there are already some conspiracy theories starting to emerge that quite frankly are a little disturbing. Case in point Donald Tusk, the Polish Prime Minister who is decidedly Russian-leaning was already there for a smaller Katyn ceremony about a week or so before. Why was he there a week before and not on the plane with all of the other important people? Lech Kaczynski who was very USA and West-leaning has his plane go down, now guess who might take over?
    ??

And why would that be? Seriously, don't even go there. Just don't.

20. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    I don't understand why all their highest ranking officials were on the same plane??
    The president, vice president, et cetera fly separately in the U.S. for this exact reason.