Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Planer problems

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jun 13, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have a 2 year old Sears 13" planer and it is going into the shop tomorrow. It has gotten tougher and tougher to raise the cutting head anybody else have this problem with these? What planer do you all have and like? Thanks ........Tom

2. Dollars to donuts the elevator mechanism has gotten totally fowled by fine sawdust. Maybe even the stop system is being blocked. That would be the good news.

Bad news would be a broken component. It could have happened if the planer hit something violently or simply fatique brought on by vibration.

Keep us informed.

I don't use a planer. I built an 18" drum sander that essentially does the same thing and I can eliminate the extra sanding step. Depending on how hard the wood is, I've removed as much as 3/32" with a single pass (clear red cedar) but usually I'm just under 1/16" on most hardwoods like maple or walnut. The coolest thing is that I can level and/or sand at any stage - even after the body has been contoured. I usually plan better than that but having that flexibility is great. Another great thing is that I never have to worry about blade sharpness or alignment. I can change the grit if needed to further smooth my subject. And finally, it's a whole lot safer (while still being dangerous) than a 5000 rpm cutter head holding 3 razor knives. This isn't a bash of planers - but they do need their maintenance. I own an 8" planer with power feed but I don't use it. In fact, it's probably going to be turned into some other piece of equipment when I find a buyer.

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I have a 10-20 sander that I use after the planer. I can't imagine not having a planer and being able to build basses. I don't thinkmy little performax could cut wood anywhere near that fast. I had to take it to sears repair shop. That was the 13th they "promised" it for the 29th. I am already jonseing for it. I do have 2 basses in progress that I can finish working on without it though. Tom

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Well my sister made me an offer I couldn't refuse. She works for a large company that handles the DeWalt and is getting me the planer and the table new for $425. I couldn't turn that down........t

6. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    the dewalt rocks. got one, love it, it's 90% as good as a floor model.

hambone -- doesn't the sanding approach leave broken grit in the wood to dull your hand tools?

7. I haven't seen anything like that at all. I use Klingspor 80 grit fabric rolls - the brown - but I've used the 3M blue. These are "mechanics" abrasives and they are fully coated. I haven't seen anything come off of them and remain in my work. In fact, the only reason I've had to replace the drum abrasive is because it's become fouled with some soft glue.

If by "hand tools" you mean planers and chisels, I prefer to leave those to skilled craftsmen. Those things are SHARP!! :D

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I hope this is a joke; because if you can't sharpen a hand tool you have no place using one.

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I got it set up last night. I ran some figured Maple and Bubinga through it just to test it out. The 2 speeds made a big difference in the surface of the material. It seems to be a very nice machine. I use a shop vac for dust collection and the blower motor is so strong in the planer that it wants to blow the hose out of the exhaust port. Aside from that I am looking forward to using it........t