Planet Waves Cable deal are these things good?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kurt M., Aug 22, 2002.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hey all,

I left my Monster Cable cable at a gig. Oh well somebody got a nice $50 cable.

I came across a deal on Planet Waves cables. Buy one get 3 free! So like $32.99 for 4 (20'). Sounds too good to be true doesn't it?

Anyway, the only problem I've heard is that they don't always fit every bass. Anyone else have anything else to add? What length do you usually favor? 20 or 30 feet? There's nothing in between (smaller sizes are to short). Guess I could get a bunch of 20 footers and hook them together with an adapter if we play a big stage. They should lock into the male to male adapter as well. No?

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've had bad luck with the Planet Waves......but I have bad luck with most cables:D
  3. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Guess you play a wireless then. But...that's a whole other thread. Actually I'd I might start that one.
  4. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I love the Planet Waves cables.They work great with my 4003, but like you heard, Kurt, they won't work well in a few basses.
  5. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Uh,, mind sharing the store name that has this incredible deal??
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    even though i got two 20 footers for free, i still bought a monster cable.

they were very durable and always sounded great..

but they'd cut out when used in my warwick and i touched the jack (worked fine everywhere else)
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They cut out when I use them with my Cirrus, Zon and Pedulla. Work fine with my inexpensive basses. I prefer Monsters, because they work in all of my basses. But that sounds like a heck of a deal. Lifetime warranty, just like Monster.
  8. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Hmm... I'd better do something around here, cause Notduane's beginning to make me look bad. :eek: :D

Seriously, I think that this is more of a miscellany. Away we go...
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    But, I didn't get three for free, dagnabit.

I see that it appears to be normal for it to cut out on certain basses. It sounds good, and I think I hear a slight difference over some cables, but not as much of a difference as my George L cable.

I'll probably go back to using the George L since it is so much more compact, and the plug isn't the size of a big cigar.

I think the whole "This end must go to the amp/This end must go to the bass" stuff is silly, though--of course, I haven't tried it the other way....just in case...;)

4 for the price of one is an astounding deal, so you can't lose.
  10. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Well you plug the cable into the amp on one end and the bass on the other so I took a shot at posting to the amp category. I don't think things get too much attention at the miscellaneous category.

Check Musician's Friend for this deal. I emailed them (twice) to make sure it's the real deal.
  11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    They work well with my MIA Hot Rodded P. I have a 20, and I just bought a 10 footer for my Ibanez SB7. I didn't know about the MF deal either :mad:
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I lucked out and found a PW cable in a bargain bin at GC along with some Monster Cables. They were not happy about it, but honored the prices anyway.

Like other people said, the PW cable cuts in and out. They're prettier to look at, but otherwise they just don't work.
  13. have any of you tryed spectraflex cables? if so any reviews?
  14. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Aren't the spectraflex the ones with the braid around them? I thought those looked cool but were a bit unflexible.

Looks like the planet waves are getting mixxed reviews. Guess I'll look into something else in spite of the great deal.

What's the George L (Lynch ?) cables all about? See MF carries them too.

Thanks all.
  15. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i have planet waves now and have used spectra flex. i have never had a problem with either. the pw's do fit in my warwick, g&l, and yamaha without a problem, i like the spectraflex a lot too. it is the only cable i have ever owned that never got all twisted and tangled. it is thick and solid but has huge endpieces at the jacks which is cumbersome.
  16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Man.....I thought it was just my luck with the Planet Waves......but I see others had the same problem with theirs......the cut out factor:( If a cable goes out on's second chances;)