1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Planet Waves Microfiber Cloth+Nitro= Bad

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by petrus61, Mar 28, 2013.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

So I stopped in at a local mom&pop to grab a new polishing cloth for my new AV 58 Precision yesterday. After a small discussion about what's good or bad to use on nitro, I asked if the Planet Waves cloth he carried would be ok to use. His answer was yes. After playing last night I have the bass a little wipe down and then noticed hundreds of very fine scratches. They weren't just swirls, as there had already been some on the bass just from natural play wear, but scratches. They all followed the patten I used to wipe the bass down, some appear pretty deep.

I'm not sure what to do about it. I know as a nitro instrument that its prone to more wear then poly, but now I've got some pretty nasty, unnatural looking marks all over the top o what was a brand new bass. How far should I go in pursuing a repair from the shop? I know that being knowledgable about what I can and can't do with my finish is my responsibility, but I trusted this guys word and wound up with a pretty marred top on my brand new bass. Should I bring it in and show him and ask for a repair or will it be futile as I have no real proof? It wasn't until after it happened that I read that microfiber can scratch nitro. Any thoughts?

2. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I heard Nitro will scratch if you look at it too hard. I played a 62RI Jazz last year and it left an imprint of the pattern of my suit in the finish.

3. petrus61

It is very susceptible to wear, but the type caused by that darn cloth is pretty unreasonable, IMO.

4. petrus61

So should I let it go or at least show the guy? I hate dealing with this crap.

5. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    At least let him know so that he won't tell other customers that its safe.

I'd try to pursuit having him give some sort of compensation for misleading you. Maybe ask him to pay for a luthier or someone to buff out the scratches?