1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Planet Waves NS Mini Headstock Tuner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just got a Planet Waves NS Mini Headstock Tuner and man, it barely fits on my Stammie headstock. Its a "classical" style headstock, custom bass. I have to more or less force the clamp wider than its supposed to go to get it on.

I love the tuner as it means I can pretty much just go cable > bass > amp.

Any suggestions as to other means of getting this unit to stay on securely? I suppose double-sided tape might work, but then I am guessing the tuner wouldnt pick up the vibrations of the bass properly.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wow, is the width of the headstock that wide?

3. No, those mini-tuners have a tight fit, it's not a crocodile clamp, rather plain plastics that you squeeze into the headstock. Works fine with most guitars, for bass guitars with a bigger headstock it's sometimes impossible.

Someone might as well get the more expensive Planet Waves headstock tuner with the crocodile clamp...

4. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    I've got the planet waves mini headstock tuner and all I can say is that I've had better tuners.. I can't even tune up with it when I'm at band practice when everyone is playing, it picks up everything else

5. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    get one as a backup, but I'd keep the pedal tuner

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    That is weird. I thought this tuner works off the vibration of the instrument and other environmental sounds have no effect on it?

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah its very chunky. The tuner has to be virtually forced on.

I noticed that the clip does come right off the unit. Just wondering if there might be another way to attach it without it interfering with the tuner's function.

8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Hmmm...mine attaches nicely. I like to put it right above the frets....very bottom of the headstock. But I've never had any issues attaching it and it has never fallen off....and I jump A LOT when I'm playing....and off of stuff.

It's worked perfect for me. Practice...shows...except for one time. We were at this club and they play that booty dancing music. LOUD. Like way loud. To the point where you can't here yourself think and the stage is vibrating. It went kaplunk on me. But that stage, my guess, is louder than an arena because they have the speakers right up on you and they cram 400 people in....just insanely loud. Every other stage/event has been fine. I posted about that show and Tom sent me a new tuner. I haven't played back there yet to recreate the incident, but this new one has never failed me.

9. Tom Spaulding

Tom Spaulding

Nov 11, 2011
    Nashville
    D'Addario Artist Relations|Nashville
    Some folks have used double-sided tape and had good results.

10. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I bought one to see how it would work, and it can't handle the low B string at all. All my other tuners (pedal and clip-on) have no problem.

It's currently on my ukulele and works great there.

11. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    it does :/

12. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I felt the need to bump this thread with an update.

After my initial comment (which is above), Tom Spaulding contacted me privately and offered to send a replacement tuner to me to see if the failure to track the low B was a result of a faulty unit.

I received the replacement today and tried it on all three of my basses, all of which have a low B. The new tuner quickly, accurately and consistently tracked the low B string on all three basses (two of which really have only one option of where to put the tuner as well). The old tuner grabbed the low B sometimes.

I currently have the tuner on my fretless 6 string right now and am planning on using it the rest of the week for shows to confirm everything, but it looks like I had a faulty tuner.

Thanks again, Tom, for the quick and excellent CS. I am extremely happy.

13. The other issue I noticed with the NS Mini Headstock tuner and my electric guitar last night is that it's not that useful if a band is playing, can't track anything. If the volume levels are lower then it tracks OK. I've used the bigger Planet Waves Headstock tuners and they definitely tracked better during high volume environments -- suspect that the larger contact to the headstock helps. Then again I broke two of those by just dropping them to the floor -- which happens easily -- and the bigger LCD display is very fragile with those.

14. chetorch

chetorch Guest

Apr 13, 2011
    these look very cool. I'm tempted to try one out, thanks for sharing!

15. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    velcro.

16. Tom Spaulding

Tom Spaulding

Nov 11, 2011
    Nashville
    D'Addario Artist Relations|Nashville
    Thanks to all for the input, it's very helpful!

There is a fine line between increased sensitivity (grabbing and holding a note) and outside rejection (differentiating between your string vibrations and a raging band). The NS Mini was designed to tune anything from a Low B on a bass (long decaying notes) to a mandolin/banjo/uke (short decay instruments).

We've had success dealing with loud environments by finding a "sweet spot" on the headstock to mount the NS Mini. Making sure all other strings are muted also helps in this situation. Try using a 12th-fret harmonic of the string you are tuning, as this can help cut through any rumble that might be exciting your headstock. Try tightening or loosening the tuner by one notch, as we have reports of that making a difference, too.

17. This thread deserves a bump! I got mine in today and it fits and works on my bass perfectly (Squier CV). This tuner is awesome! so tiny yet very useful! I like the fact that I can just leave it on when I put my bass in its gig bag.

It sure helped me open up some prime real estate for my upcoming pedal board! I have band rehersal later in the week but I'm sure it'll perform like a champ!

18. Octavian

Octavian

Sep 25, 2009
    I've been experimenting with one as well on a Fender Jazz (4-string) with the main intent to be in locations where I don't have the space for a tuner, pedal board or don't have the luxury of muting my output so I can check tuning in the middle of a show. For the money, it's a great tuner and I LOVE it's stealth design so no one knows I have a tuner on board. I have gotten quite a few "cool!" compliments from other musicians who figured out what I was doing when they thought I was tuning by my magical ear. :)

My only issue is the spotty accuracy with the low E. It has a hard time dialing in to the correct pitch and my guess is it is more due to my placement of the unit on the headstock.

Since I have a Hipshot Bass Extender installed (see photo) the tuner won't fit where it's going to pick up a solid vibration. I put it on the only place that will fit and not look too goofy. I will keep experimenting with different locations.

[​IMG]

19. CarlLightfoot

CarlLightfoot

Apr 14, 2011
    I am having issues with tuning my E string and I can forget tuning it to D. The harmonic trick works most of the time but I'd prefer to tune the open string. Not sure the NS mini is a viable tuning solution for Basses, works great on my guitar though.

20. Mine works fine when it is quiet, very accurate actually; onstage in a noisy club, however, it is useless. I had to reconnect my pedal tuner while the DJ was blasting away before we started our second set. I've tried different locations on the headstock; fits nicely on both my MM Stingray and Surveyor 414, but the unit requires a relatively sedate environment. Nice little curio, but the one I have is essentially a toy, which is too bad. But then you know the old saying, if it seems too good to be true...