1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Planet Waves tuner vs Korg Pitch Black

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigRedBassPlayer, Jul 26, 2012.

1. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

I have looked around and found some info, but I was wondering what people who used both prefer.

In the red corner: Planet waves PW-CT-04 Chromatic Tuner

In the blue corner: Korg Pitch Black

Any input would be great! I know there are a ton of others, like Boss and such, but I'm just using these 2 for now.

2. I have both of them but prefer the Pitch Black. Both of them tune well so you can't really go wrong though. I've had the Pitch Black longer so I may be a little bias, but it's just a little simpler to use.

3. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have the Korg Pitch Black tuner and it works quite well. It's a very popular tuner.

I have not used the Planet Waves tuner, but they're both recognized brands. I tried the Peterson Strobostomp and found it was too sensitive; I'm happier with the Korg. The Korg also lets you choose between two different display types; I like the "strobe" setting - it displays red bars for out-of tune notes and green to indicate you're in-tune. It's simple to read, and is sensitive enough to get a good tuning.

Joel

4. BigRedBassPlayer

The reason I was asking is I own a Pitch Black and I love it. But, I have an offer for a PW. And I'll be honest, PW always interest me for some reason.

5. MarcMurder

MarcMurder #IIAmerica

Mar 9, 2010
    El Paso, Texas
    i love my korg

6. BigRedBassPlayer

I think you guys helped me with my answer. Thanks! I do love me some PW, but the Pitch Black is a heck of a tuner.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    And TC Polytuner with a first round knockout!

Your winner...POLYTUNER!

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I own a pitchblack too! I love it you can tune on dark stages or in well lit venues too.

9. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I've heard the Planet Waves one can go faulty over time.

10. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    yea, Polytuner ftw. best on the market.

11. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I prefer my Sonic Research Turbo Tuner.