1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. Because Photobucket has chosen to in effect "take down" everyone's photos (unless you pay them), we have extended post edit time in the Luthier's Corner to UNLIMITED.  If you used photobucket and happen to still have your images of builds, you can go back and fix as many of your posts as far back as you wish.

Note that TalkBass will host unlimited attachments for you, all the time, for free ;)  Just hit that "Upload a File" button.  You are also free to use our Media Gallery if you want a place to create albums, organize photos, etc :)

planing a fingerboard...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ModulusAcacia, Apr 5, 2003.

1. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    How does each of us plane a fretboard for either fretless or fretted basses? I've asked three guys and gotten three different ways/tools for doing it. Just thought it'd be interesting to find out what you guys think and maybe find the best/easiest way in the process. oh and don't forget tools, especially if they're a DIY type tool (my 1/4" x 2" x 9" piece of glass with a piece of wood and clothes pins with nails through them to hold sand paper glued to the top seems weird but works great! so far at least...) Since I'm just a novice all this will come in super handy with my first basses that all have ebony and rosewood fingerboards, but I want to have my lutherie chops and ideas up when I plane the snakewood board on the fretless five I'm planning. :) Lemme know,

Justin K.

2. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    Glass is great for sanding blocks because it's so straight , I use the same thing. I start the camber with a no. 5 plane down the sides. The basic dimensions are thicknessed first and planing and sanding are the finishing touches.
    I thought of making a jig for the router that will actually route the camber but I don't make that many guitars to bother , so out with the good ol' no.5.
    I think the finish off a blade is always better than sanding where possible, as blades tend to seal grain. I made a vertical plane when I was an apprentice which was a cross between a plane and a cabinet scraper, this would have been excellent for finishing fingerboards , unfortunately it was stolen.

cheers