Planing a fretless fingerboard question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by spc, Jan 12, 2005.

1. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I have a parts jazz with a maple neck and fretless ebony board. Since I play the ebony with no finish, and use roundwounds, it gets chewed up every so often and I have to have the board planed. Is this something that I can do for a long time? Thanks!
  2. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  3. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    You need to finish that fretboard dude; use some Marine Epoxy or go diggin in the forums.
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Depends on how much they are taking off each time, but clearly there is a finite amount of time it can go on. Then you'd need to have the fingerboard replaced.

If you do end up coating it, you'll be chewing away the coating instead of the ebony. In that case, you can plane then reapply when the strings beat the coating down. It'll cost you more per planing but you may go longer between replanes and you'll probably never have to get a new fingerboard.

The coating will feel much different than bare wood. If you love the feel of the wood, then keep that in mind.
  5. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Fair enough! I love the feel and growl of the bare wood. I have a jazz that I had converted to fretless by the Pedulla shop (a Lakland USA JO, for sale...) with the buzz coating and I find I like the bare wood better. I also have a jazz with a lightly coated maple board that I love. Bass sounds very warm and acoustic (acoustically it's very loud). Thanks for the help!