Planing ahead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Hey fellow bassists. I am still looking into getting a rig in a few months that would be upgrading from my combo amp. I will need to deal with two guitarists and (eventually) one drummer. Now, lets assume both guitarists ran 50-100 watts each, how many watts would you recommend ? I know more speakers equal more air flow, so I will "eventually" have two cabs, but I was wondering what should I be looking for once I get the funds together. My limit will under $1500. I would like to keep it under this price limit as much as I can. So far I'm going to need something with good/great tone for rock, old metal, jazz/funk, and blues. I have many months to make a decision but I am just asking you more experienced guys put there to point me in the general direction.

-Your man with wet feet
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I bought a used Eden 410XLT, new Crown XLS402, and a used BBE 383 pre. The total for me was $850.

I would suggest the power/pre amp setup. Buy a 410 cab. Or a 210, and a 115. The multiple cabs give you diversity for practice rig, big gig rig, and small gig rig.

3. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    the typical rule for bass power is 4 to 1....
    in other words, 100 watts of guitar means you will probably need 400 watts of bass...
    i've found this ratio almost always works....
  4. Well I wouldn't mind getting a rack for power/pre if it has good tonal range. I was thinking maybe a 2x10 and a 1x15 for the lowend so I don't kill my back. I really don't see myself needing a 4x10.
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    get two 12's..then a 15 if you have too..

if youre goin to go power pre..then you can do the 12's on one side (8 ohms each)
    then the 15 on the other (4 ohms)

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    On a tight budget you can always go with something like a used GK 400RB for $2-300 that will work fine. Stage tested for 20 years worldwide in many styles of music.

I would not get less than 200 watts but you really don't need over 400 watts. Having more power can be NICE but it's not mandatory...especially if you have no cash.
  7. Well I was looking at the GK 1000RB II. Maybe that with a Aguilar 1x12 , then another once I have more cash.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Agreed. Most 4x10's are too heavy. A 15 + 2x10 not only splits the load on your back, but sounds better IMO. That's what I've been using for most gigs and I'm never caught short of volume or tone. I run em both full range and EQ them as if they were in a single cab.
  9. What would a good pre/power cost me with a rack to hold them be ? I know heads but nothign when it comes to pre/power.
  10. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    with used prices, maybe...

250-500 for a preamp
    300-500 for a power amp
    'bout 65 for a 4-space rack

Maybe a QSC poweramp

either a BBE Bmax, Alembic f1-x, RBI, SWR IOD, SVP...take your pick

And I like SKB road racks.
  11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    there are other ways instead of a Pre/Power setup, but the pre/power are usually going to be cheaper (if you get used gear) but i also really like heads. if you can find a used Ampeg SVT-III Pro, check that out. these are insane! i got mine cheap (350), and a 4x10 (200) and a 1x15 (150...well, a trade) but very good things can be had for cheap. my head is 450W @ 4 ohms, and i can honestly say i would never need anymore power. i practice with the gain @ 12 oclock, and the master at 9 oclock. and this is with a guitarist who is loud as hell! this amp is really amazing, i totally love mine. i'll never ever get rid of it unless it breaks, (i highly doubt it would, very reliable) and the tone is so warm and nice. check that out. also, a Sansamp RBI + QSC RMX 850 is a cheap amp. that would probably be 500 right there, and then you'd have 1k left for cab/cabs.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You can get a power/pre/rack setup for a good deal if you spend is what I got...

Crown XLS402 (brand new): $229
    BBE 383 Bass pre (used) : $100
    SKB 6-space (used) : $ 50

I got an excellent deal on my pre, I don't know how many times you'll find one for $100. It took me a long time to find mine. Usually they are around $200.

That setup works awesome for me.

13. Well a head would be very nice for portability purposes. Things I was looking into were the GK 1000RB II, Carvin 1000r (Don't need THAT much power, though headroom is nice), iAMP800 but I believe this EA amp is over 1K so I would have to find a good used deal. I'm guessing pre/power is my best option for good power and good tone at a lower price. Pre/power would be very nice because then maybe I can shoot for a Aguilar cab/s.
  14. Wow I just looked at the QSC RMX 850 Power Amp. Did I see corectly ? It said the weight was 35 pounds o_O ! The GK head is what, 18 :) ?
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    GK are one of the lightest in the business. I've played through heads all my life and believe me, there are some really heavy heads out there.

Just to put it in perspective, did you look at the QSC PLX range?
  16. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    With the idea of "planning ahead" I just picked up a QSC PLX-1602. I was thinking RMX, but decided in the long run I would appreciate the lighter weight. And, I chose the 1602 model because its power output is right around/just slightly more than an SM-900 or SVT4-PRO. I have power to spare for additional cabinets, since at the moment I'm just running one side into a Goliath III.
  17. I'm liking the PLX. How does it sound and what did it run you ?
  18. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

Call Lord Valve or Life Effects. You'll find as good a price from them as you will anywhere else for a new QSC. Mine was $579 shipped.

As for sound . . . its a good solid poweramp. Only other poweramp I've used with my current setup is an RMX, and I was never able to do a direct comparison between the two in the same environment. But my understanding is that any well designed poweramp is not going to "sound like" anything except what comes out of your preamp.
  19. Now since I should have about 600 to spend on a cab also, what are some higher end cabs to get ? I know Avatar is great for the price but I know other cabsa are better. I'm thinking of starting with a 2x10, then adding a 1x15 once I need it.