1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Planning a 2x12 cab.....plans or advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveBass, Mar 7, 2008.

1. GrooveBass

GrooveBass

Oct 10, 2004
    Iowa
    I'm looking to build a 2x12 cab for myself, mostly because I need to get a different cab than the 1x12 folded horn I'm using right now (sounds just fine, IMO). I need a different cab for mainly size reasons, as the folded horn is about half again as big as a college fridge. SO, a 2x12 in the same form as a 2x10. That's what I'm going for, and I'm fishing for info here, good speakers for bass amps, as they're not usually listed as such, crossovers needed, and anything else your devious little minds can come up with. Thanks bunches.

2. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    speakers: Eminence :)
    which type? don't know, but the lower price (Alpha, Beta..) are not as good for bass as I've heard, I know Gamma and Deltalite in 10" size, they are great. If I was to build a cab, I'd use Deltalite 12"s...

tweeter: something efficient (100dB+ ), and high-power (80W+)
    attenuator: good to dial in the right amount of tweeter sound, or to turn it completely down.

crossower: high-pass filter only for the tweeter is great for many-many bass cabs. I did use it too, good result. 12dB/oct. min.

plans: you can get them from Eminence, downloadable.
    or make your own, with box-computing programs..

in nutshell.

3. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Build a Bill Fitzmaurice cab with one Deltalite 12".

4. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
  5. GrooveBass

GrooveBass

Oct 10, 2004
    Iowa
    Thoughts on Carvin speakers? And at the risk of sounding dumb as a board, who is Bill Fitzmaurice, and why are the cabs so nice, or was that a joke that just went totally over my head, as that DOES tend to happen... One more thing, I am planning on using this cab for my main rig, or at least as a supplement to the folded horn until I have two new cabs, and can nix the horn entirely.

6. GrooveBass

GrooveBass

Oct 10, 2004
    Iowa
    missed that last by GerryJazzMan there.....foot right in mouth

7. GrooveBass

GrooveBass

Oct 10, 2004
    Iowa
    The Fitz cab is a 1x12 as I understand it, and I'm looking for a 2x12, so that'll be out, thanks again for any responses with advice or other sorts of input. :)

8. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Actually, Bill has variants of a number of his designs. The OmniTop can be build by either a 1x12 or a 2x12. His designs are horn-based and very efficient, while still being relatively compact in size. Many folks here have built his designs and Bill himself participates on this forum.

9. The OT212 isn't a bass cab. It's much better as a Top. Response falls like a rock below 100 Hz, but it is killer above 100 Hz.

If you want a full range BFM box with big bottom, the O15 is the ticket. The smaller O10 doesn't have the bottom of the O15. Another plus to the O15 is it will not fart out at the full 450w input power.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It wasn't specifically designed for electric bass, but a number of guys use them anyway, as they have a combination of vintage tone and high sensitivity, and work especially well with low power tube heads.

11. Yeah I know, but TB isn't usually the crowd that find this tone appealing.

I've been playing around with a vintage JBL 15" in a combo for a couple months, just to remember what it sounded like. Vintage tone, for sure... loud and gutless as hell in the bottom range. The F3 calculates at 90 Hz... I am not even interested enough to measure it. The JBL/combo thing completely emasculates my SR5/HH.

I sold it to the guy who owns the combo, because the JBL is literally a perfect fit, both volume and tuning. He likes it enough to pony up the cash for the driver (NOS), and I'm happy to be rid of it. One down, one to go.

Until the Kappalite 12s come out, I'm not thrilled using 12s for the bottom. 2512-II is great for tops, but farts out in the bottom around 60 watts. I put them in a pair of 1x12 prototypes to see how they flew. Think 'Bob Seeger and Chevy'. Perhaps I expect too much of them... I dunno. Those 2512-II are going into a pair of DR280, where they belong.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I just ordered a BagEnd D12 (2x12) set up horizontally for use as a stand alone cab under my tube amp. My preference is no tweeter on any bass cabinet. I know that goes against the masses, but over 25 years of playing, trying and comparing has brought me to this opinion.

Anyway, it's a cool cabinet to look at in planning yours out.

http://www.bagend.com/bagend/d12-d.htm

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
  14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Any word on specs?

15. Not yet. I'm sure those who signed NDA know, but they can't talk right now. If Eminence builds a 12" version of the 3015LF, that will certainly change my mind about using 12s. I currently have a 12LF in my 24" wide T39, and it isn't a bit better than a BP102 (10") in a 20" wide T39. The measurements are virtually identical.

16. GrooveBass

GrooveBass

Oct 10, 2004
    Iowa
    I also have a 15" Carvin practice amp right now, so I know about the bottom of 15's, and I know that it's missing (in my ears) most of the time with 10's, so I figured 12's should be a bit quicker and have some more bottom end than 10's. The kind of sound I'm after is like Jack Bruce's sound in Cream, just flat fat, but with more bite. Thanks for all the advice and comments, if it doesn't help me out or make me laugh, it helps me decide what I don't like, whick can be just as important.

17. GrooveBass

GrooveBass

Oct 10, 2004
    Iowa
    I'm after something like the Epiphany, but without the tweeter, just for simplicity's sake.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    sounds like we are coming from the same mindset.

yeah, the Bag End D12 I ordered is being made to sit horizontally like the Epifani... and is simply 2x12" drivers, no x-over, no tweeters, just a modern cab with an old school vibe.

If you are building your own, check out the EVM-12L

http://www.electrovoice.com/pressreleases/544.html
    http://www.avgiant.com/Electro-Voice-EVM-12L-Classic-8-Loudspeaker

19. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Probably the last driver I'd recommend. Aside from weighing three times what a modern neo does its response dies below 200 Hz. A Basslite S2012 will smack it silly in the low end.

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

good for it! My objective is tone not smackin silly :p

Also, the only speaker I've blown in 28 years of playing was a neo.... and I gig a 100lbs tube head with ZERO desire to move to something lighter.

If I was building a PA cab I might look at the other speakers listed.