Planning a better rig, any advice is welcome

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    I've got an Ampeg B-2R and BSE-410HLF. First I had an SVT-410HE, and almost immediately I traded in to get the 4 ohms from the BSE, but still I'm finding it somewhat disappointing. It'll do for now, but just to plan for the future, I'm trying to set an amp goal. I love the sound of the B-2R, but the volume is lacking and the lows are weaker than I would like. I'm hoping some of this is due to the spectacularly shameful acoustics of my drummer's practice space, but I havent had a chance to play anywhere better with it yet.

Also I had a Gallien-Krueger rig before this that broke repeatedly, my 115 broke, my 210 broke, my 800rb broke, not my fault, I was told I basically have really, really bad luck. So I want something DURABLE, invincible even, and I would prefer solid-state. I'm in a punk band, I play with a pick and such, I dont use any effects or anything, I dont need lots of fancy features, I just want something RELIABLE, DURABLE, and LOUD. Amps and cabinets. And price is not a big issue, but I'd aim for less than $2000. All ideas are welcome!
  2. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    $2000 should be plenty to get what you want.

How about a Bergantino 6x10 and then a good pre/power setup?

I think maybe you should go play on a bunch of stuff and see what you like
  3. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    I would but the local shop carries pretty much just Ampeg and Peavey. I tried those, but beyond that I don't have many, if any more places to go. I'm not the most mobile person in the world, heh. If I do go further to a different shop to try some things, I need to have some more specific things in mind I think.
  4. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp
    Peavey power amp
    Ampeg 610HLF
  5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    For sheer unmatched volume and a ton of tone shaping possibilities, including footswitchable graphic eq, compression, and separate blendable tube distortion channel, get the sunn 1200s :bassist: In my current band situation, it's the best amp I've ever played. Both for headroom, volume, and tube warmth.
  6. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    He is telling us he only has access to Peavey and Ampeg products though. Unless you want spend your money through online retailers (which I recommend). The sky is the limit with $2000 and buying online.
  7. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Hmm, I'm intrigued by the peavey power amp idea. In fact, I've only had the Ampeg B-2R and BSE-410HLF for a little while, chances are I could probably trade them in for store credit of about $1100. In that case, does anyone have any thoughts on the peavey MAX 700 head? And the TVX cabs, like maybe a 410TVX?
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    All I have to say is to buy with your ears, not your eyes.
  9. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    But it's so hard! How does one resist the allure of having some awesome pretentious amp that causes people to gasp when you say its name?

Maybe if I like the peavey I could make up a really cool name for it, so when people ask what amp I use I could tell them "oh, I use a Punisher 5000."
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I have a Peavey. I call it "The Humble Kitten."

What'd'ya think?
  11. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i play eden stuff, it's very defined. you've got a $#%@$ load of headroom. You'll get all you need. I play a wt400 and it's very sweet. If you need to be louder take the wt800, from what i've heard, that thing will shake ur nuts off.
  12. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

I completely agree with buying with ears... I just picked up one of the GK 410SBX cabs recently and was pleasently surprised. I compared it agains the GK 410RBH, an SWR Goliath III, and a used Bag End 4x10. The RBH sounded the best, but not double the price of the SBX, maybe $100 more. The Goliath sounded ok, until pushed, and it just crapped out. The Bag End was sweet, but I liked the GK's better. I ended up with the cheapest 4x10 in the store...and it cost the same as my 1x12 and less than my 2x10! I'm not going to say that the GK's better than the Bergies or some of the other high end cabs, but it does show you to listen to your ears.

...and I used all of my equipment for testing (my bass, my pre, and my amp to drive the cabs).
  13. tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Save some money; get the Traynor YBA200 tube head with an ampeg 810 or 610, or the Berg 610.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm waiting on Fedex for the rest of my killer new Rig!!!

Schroeder 1210 ~$600
    Crown CE1000 ~$400
    Yamaha PB-1 pre ~$150
    Rack Case ~$75
    Cabling and misc ~$75

Mmmmm 1100watt Mini Rig of Doooom
  15. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    I'm probably gonna go for the peavey (assuming it doesnt sound horrifyingly bad or anything), seeing as I'll be able to trade in the ampeg stuff I have for it. Still though, does anybody have any experience with the MAX 450 or the MAX 700? or the TVX cabs?
  16. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Peavey's cabs rock. I'd try a 4x10 cab with a 1x15 cab stack. Add the "durable, reliable, & loud" power amp(again, Peavey?) of your choice and finally a preamp...the Ampeg SVP for starters. THERE! A beautiful rig that you can easily get thru your local dealer...even if they have to order it for you -you'll be helping out a local guy, so make absolutely SURE you'll get the service down the road. :cool:
  17. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I agree 200% with T Alan Smith (check my rig out if you're wondering why). The SVT Pre is an absolute tone dream. I got rid of 6 spaces of rack gear when I got it. I have a Crest Audio power amp, but Peavey owns Crest! That means that the clean tone of the Crest amps is being used in the Peavey amps. And for the price, you simply cannot beat Peavey bass cabinets. Bang for the buck in spades. My 410 TX was rated #1 in Bass Player's budget 410 shootout a few years back. It was even compared to cabs costing twice as much and still held their own. The 115 down below gives you just enough bottom end to round out your tone. If Peavey and Ampeg are your choices and you're on a budget, this is without a doubt the way to go.

SVT Pro Pre - $600
    Peavey cabs (ballpark) $400 & $300
    Peavey amp (ballpark) $400?? don't be afraid to pay for power here, you won't regret it

$1700 in all. And local service if something's amiss. Unless you really want to step up in the cab department and get an SVT 610 or SVT 810 for a couple of hundred more. With $300 to spare, it would be worth considering.

Hope this helps.
  18. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Okay, so my budget has changed. Rather drastically... heh. I can't so much afford $1700 now, but I like that idea alot. Tell me this: If I were to get, say, the peavey Max 450 and a 4 ohm 4x10TVX, and eventually a 1x15 as well, could I stick the SVP-PRO on there sometime in the future when I had more money and get an ampeg sound out of it? I'm new to the whole power/pre-amp thing, I dont fully get it.
  19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Temporary side track:
    speddling, post a review of the Schroeder cab after you've abused it some. Those look very interesting (I'd love to hear their 410).